Problem regarding selection of quality/bitrate

Waseh

Hello

Im having some problems with the emby app and selection of a streams resolution and bitrate.

Basically it seems that the quality/bitrate selection is ignored and im just directstreaming from the server. This is usually not a problem except when im on the move and cell signal might not always be the strongest.

Most of the time there isnt a transcoding log on the server and if there is it doesnt contain commands regarding  resolution or the bitrate which, to my eye, is always set at 39680 kb/s regardless of what i requested in the app.

I attached 3 logs named after the quality profile chosen in the app.

Playing from the webplayer i do get a height parameter in the transcode log but it still seems that the bitrate is always set to 39680 kb/s - Atleast i can't find anywhere in the logs where the bitrate parameter is set. I have included two log files from the webplayer. One where 720p 4 mbps is chosen and one where 720p 1 mbps i chosen. I cant fint any significant difference in these log files.

Maybe im missing something obvious or maybe this is the intended behavior :)
Thanks for the help :)

480p - 420 kbps APP.txt

1080p - 4 mbps APP.txt

1080p - 40 mbps APP.txt

720p 1 mbps Webplayer.txt

720p 4 mbps Webplayer.txt

Edited by Waseh

If you go to settings you can adjust your default. Usually auto is the best choice because it will perform bandwidth tests with your server to find the ideal amount. Does that answer your question?

Hey Luke

Well not exactly. How come when I choose 480p at 420 kbps i am still served a 1080p stream? When using the webapp atleast the resolution is correct but the bitrate setting seems to be ignored both on Web player and Android app

Edited by Waseh

yea looking at your web examples it does look like there's an issue there with the bitrate i'm just trying to reproduce it. in all of my tests it's working as expected. are you just changing quality during playback?

shorty1483

Confirmation @@Luke , on my side also everything works as expected in different variations of Bitrate, resolution on Android App and WebPlayer. 2 samples attached. Also switching quality settings is working here.

1 Mbit, 720p.txt

4 Mbit, 1080p.txt

Edited by shorty1483

yea looking at your web examples it does look like there's an issue there with the bitrate i'm just trying to reproduce it. in all of my tests it's working as expected. are you just changing quality during playback?

Yea - I cant seem to get any different results regarding when i change the quality setting - A new transcode log appears but there isnt any difference

shortys' logs looks like what i would have expected mine to look - both from the webclient aswell as the android app.

Could the fact that im running emby from hurricanes docker have anything to say?

Edited by Waseh

I think i might have it figured out. In the streaming section of the server setup i had put 40 mbps as max bitrate to be requested.
When i removed this setting and put 0 instead it seems the server is now honoring the requested bitrate. So basically it seems that when "Internet streaming bitrate limit (Mbps):" is set it overrules the bitrate requested from the app/webplayer and instead is just set at whatever value is provided as the max supported. I retried this with different values and this is exactly what i am seeing. If i put 8 mbps as the limit every video is provided at 8 mbps no matter what resolution or bitrate is requested.

This is not the inteded behavior is it?

The change also fixed all the problems i were having in the android app

Edited by Waseh

Glad i could be of some help :)
Luckily the fix doesnt really have any negative impact for me, so for now i'll just leave the Internet streaming bitrate limit at 0.