save metadata and images as hidden files

JayGeorge

JayGeorge

Afternoon all, 

hope everyone is well?

I have a question about metadata and images, as the title indicates.  in Metadata>>>advanced there is an option to mark it as hidden.  I have this selected but it doesnt seem to hide the files.  i dont think its a permissions issue because it manages to write the files to the location.

anyone else had any issues with this?

Thanks,

Jay

Deathsquirrel

Afternoon all, 

hope everyone is well?

I have a question about metadata and images, as the title indicates.  in Metadata>>>advanced there is an option to mark it as hidden.  I have this selected but it doesnt seem to hide the files.  i dont think its a permissions issue because it manages to write the files to the location.

anyone else had any issues with this?

Thanks,

Jay

Are you set to display hidden files in your folder viewing preferences?  If so that setting won't do anything for you.

Happy2Play

It only works on new metadata/images not existing metadata/images.

If you have existing metadata/images you will have to do a library level Refresh-Replace all data-Replace existing images.

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

Will this replace my marked/unmarked?

No that info is a user database.  You can always test on one item.

JayGeorge

If you have existing metadata/images you will have to do a library level Refresh-Replace all data-Replace existing images.

Please forgive my ignorance but where is this option? I have done a full "scan media library"

Happy2Play

Go to Metadata Manager select a library (i.e. Movies) select Refresh and use drop down menus.

JayGeorge

Hi,

I ran this over night and it doesnt seem to have made any difference

Save metadata and images as hidden files is set and ticked.

I ran the refresh and set refresh all data and replace existing images.

The onlyh thing I have noticed is that on the metadate manager the path is C:\Users\Jay\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\root\default\Movies however my movies and the metadata is actually set to a different location.

Thanks,

Jay

JayGeorge

think i may have half solved this, i know what the issue is but not how to save it.

for some reason my network drives wont set anything as hidden, so its a hardware/software issue rather than a EMBY issue.

Thanks everyone for the advice but we can clear this off

JayGeorge

So...now i am exploring another option.  if I change the location of my metadata using the option metadata>>>advanced>>>metadata path to a local drive, when i run the refresh and set it to replace images will it just remove the imaged from the previous location??

No.  And I highly suggest you not do that.  Storing these items with the media is the much better option.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have the same problem, with (new) metadata still showing when the option to hide it is set - How does emby mark files as hidden? Trying to narrow down how to get it working.

With basic operating system methods. If you have any other programs installed that touch your metadata such as sonarr, sickbeard, or kodi, you'll want to make sure they're configured the same way.

Only Emby touching metadata - Turned off sonarr per a hint in the forums about watched status. My sanity has been restored after this ;)
Trying to clean my media metadata up a bit so decided to delete my old data scraped from kodi over the years and have Emby do it and save it to the media folder. Pictures, NFO and XML gets written fine but is not hidden.
I am able to manually hide the files (right clicking from windows), but it doesnt happen automatically. Any way i can narrow down what is happening? I didn't get much from the log with debugging enabled.

JayGeorge

So I have figured out the issue I have, its due to my NAS being on Linux and my OS being Windows it wont allow me to hide the files.

Does anyone know a way around this?

Thanks,

Jay

• 5 months later...
stephane.dunog

Go to Metadata Manager select a library (i.e. Movies) select Refresh and use drop down menus.

Hi i am a new Emby user.

I can't find this option. I am using the latest official version of Emby on a mac mini

I'd like to hide all the existing metadata.

Thanks for your help

Happy2Play

Hi i am a new Emby user.

I can't find this option. I am using the latest official version of Emby on a mac mini

I'd like to hide all the existing metadata.

Thanks for your help

The setting is under Library-Advanced, but it will not convert existing metadata only new metadata.

stephane.dunog

Please forgive my ignorance but where is this option? I have done a full "scan media library"

The setting is under Library-Advanced, but it will not convert existing metadata only new metadata.

Thank you but i have this option in Library-Advanced. And i have understood that it will only work for new metadata. The option i can't find is the one in Metadata Manager to refresh and replace the metadata.

Happy2Play

Thank you but i have this option in Library-Advanced. And i have understood that it will only work for new metadata. The option i can't find is the one in Metadata Manager to refresh and replace the metadata.

Select the three dot button in the top right for refresh.  The only option that has replace images in Identify.

stephane.dunog

Thanks

The only option i have is 'refresh'. Doing that, doesn't replace metadata. What i would expect was replacing visible metadata for hidden metadata. 

The only solution i see is to remove my library, manually remove metadata within my library folder and then re-create my library as a fresh one. But doing this, i'll have to manually manage once again all the incorrect matches. As i have a lot of movies, i don't want to do that again.