DTS to AC3 Bitrate

breezytm

breezytm

Hey guys, 

I am converting some files from mkv 1536 Kbps to AC3. I would like to know which one of the two AC3 format should I use AC3 448 or 640 Kbps and why. I am well aware of the size differences between 448 and 640 and that they sound similar to the ears. I just don't know the technical aspect of it. Thanks for your reply. 

I came across some strange happenings when I convert DTS-HD to Ac3 eariler this week.

For some reason the conversion only choose one side of the DTS audio. So unless the talking was happening out of the one side, it sounded really quite in some parts and the music was super loud. I don't why that happened...?? In any case thought I would throw it out there.

I came across some strange happenings when I convert DTS-HD to Ac3 eariler this week.

For some reason the conversion only choose one side of the DTS audio. So unless the talking was happening out of the one side, it sounded really quite in some parts and the music was super loud. I don't why that happened...?? In any case thought I would throw it out there.

That sounds like you only got the L/R channels.

Hey guys, 

I am converting some files from mkv 1536 Kbps to AC3. I would like to know which one of the two AC3 format should I use AC3 448 or 640 Kbps and why. I am well aware of the size differences between 448 and 640 and that they sound similar to the ears. I just don't know the technical aspect of it. Thanks for your reply. 

If you can't hear the difference, go with the smaller size.  But, in the scheme of things, I wouldn't think the audio bitrate is going to make that big of a difference in overall file size and, in that case, just go with 640 :).

• Like 1

FrostByte

When I rip a BD and remove the lossless part from DTS-HD it usually leaves me with a DTS core track of 1536 Kbps.  When I extract the lossless part from TrueHD it usually leaves me with an AC3 core track of 640kbps.   Probably comparing apples to oranges, but seems like 640kbps is the correct choice

breezytm

Got  it. Since I don't quite get the bitrate stuff that well. I didn't want to transcode junk and expect to get better junk.  :D

I guess its fair to say its OK to convert DTS 1536Kbps to AC3 640 Kbps. 

Dear god please tell me that in the audio media info that "profile: LC" does not mean left channel...

breezytm

Media Info

Video
CodecH264

Codec tagavc1

ProfileHigh

Level41

Resolution1920x824

Aspect ratio2.35:1

AnamorphicNo

InterlacedNo

Framerate23.97604

Bitrate14456 kbps

Bit depth8 bit

Pixel formatyuv420p

Ref frames4

CABACNo

Audio
Languageeng

CodecAAC

Codec tagmp4a

ProfileLC

Layoutstereo

Channels2 ch

Bitrate124 kbps

Sample rate48000 khz

DefaultYes

Audio
Languageeng

CodecAC3

Codec tagac-3

Layout5.1

Channels6 ch

Bitrate375 kbps

Sample rate48000 khz

DefaultYes

I only see on all my files on the AAC side which is fine considering its stereo. 

• Like 1

CBers

Got  it. Since I don't quite get the bitrate stuff that well. I didn't want to transcode junk and expect to get better junk.  :D

I guess its fair to say its OK to convert DTS 1536Kbps to AC3 640 Kbps. 

Basically, the higher the bitrate, the better the quality.

Applies to video bitrates as well.

• Like 1

breezytm

Interesting 

I wondered this myself, so rather than listening to what I read online I tested. I used the first Transformers movie. I had the movie on HDDVD and my buddy had it on Bluray. The HDDVD version has the audio in DD+ and the Bluray is TrueHD. I had both the HDVD player and BD player hooked up to my receiver and played the same few scenes a few times switching back and forth between the same scenes on the different players. I came to the conclusion that neither sounded better than the other, but there was definitely more to hear in the TrueHD track. I specifically remember the scene in the beginning where the helicopter thrashes the base when the glass in the air control tower blows you could hear a lot more. So in my experience its not necessarily better sound quality but just more sound information. I keep the HD tracks on movies like Transformers, Ironman, Dark Knight, ect. Most movies though I am more than satisfied with DD. I think you should give it a try you would be surprised at what you might be missing.
  • Like 1

breezytm

i just can't catch a break. Now i can't get windows to passthrough the ac3 track. it has no issue passing the dts tracks. it works fine in apps like kodi and plex though. UGHHHHHH

There is a setting under "settings" (lol) which has ac3 passthrough option to set to true.

Not sure if this was specifically for chromecast or if it has to do with all clients...

breezytm

is that a server settings or user? the problem I am having is when using emby in wmc I am getting 2.0 channel. Not 5.1 but if i switch to lets say kodi, which running emby kodi addon, i get 5.1. 

shorty1483

Dear god please tell me that in the audio media info that "profile: LC" does not mean left channel...

Low Complexity

Gesendet von meinem HTC One M8 mit Tapatalk

• Like 2

CBers

i just can't catch a break. Now i can't get windows to passthrough the ac3 track. it has no issue passing the dts tracks. it works fine in apps like kodi and plex though. UGHHHHHH

Have you read this, or this.

Might give you some clues.

• Like 1

is that a server settings or user? the problem I am having is when using emby in wmc I am getting 2.0 channel. Not 5.1 but if i switch to lets say kodi, which running emby kodi addon, i get 5.1. 

Also check the settings inside WMC.  You have to tell it you have a 5.1 setup too.

breezytm

Thanks guys. I figured the issue out. I felt asleep right after and didn't get a chance to comment. It was the filter. Apparently, WMC uses its own filter for mp4s and output 2.0 channels. After I switch the filter to ffdshow I started getting 5.1. I just found that out which means i've been playing my mp4s since last year as stereo. SMH. I sometimes use Kodi or Plex and noticed the sounds was louder and clearer but I never dig deep into it. 

Also check the settings inside WMC.  You have to tell it you have a 5.1 setup too.

you have windows media center set to 5.1? I thought if you did that it screws up live tv. Does that work for you? Never worked for me. I was in several places I needed to set it to 7.1

you have windows media center set to 5.1? I thought if you did that it screws up live tv. Does that work for you? Never worked for me. I was in several places I needed to set it to 7.1

I've never used WMC for live TV.  In any case, looks like you figured it out.