Need To Buy A New TV, soliciting advice

Echostorm

Echostorm

Readers of my other recent thread will know that I just had a rather unfortunate experience with a 58" Seiki that I picked up on Black Friday.  I'll be re-boxing it today.

Since I know the community here is using the same software, I thought that I could get a much better perspective from you than an AV forum.

The TV I want will hook up to my HTPC and use Emby WMC, I'd like it to have sound out so I have the option down the road but at the moment I push the sound directly from the PC.  Its possible that down the road, if the PC dies I'll switch it over to Roku. (thats why I want the sound out)

I'm looking for something around 50", not less than 47" but not more than 58". 

I can't stand motion smoothing that makes shows look like soap operas so thats a setting that I'd like to be able to turn off without ill effects.  I don't need it to be a smart TV, in many wants I'd prefer it wasn't as I'll never use those functions.  I would still like it to be fairly configurable.

So, do you have a set like that one I'm describing that you're happy with?  I'd be really grateful to hear about it and your setup. 

mjktg99

My 50" Vizio which is 2 years old at this point can Passthrough DD and DTS from the HDMI out the Optical to my receiver.  It can also decode the DD.  I re-encode all my movies to h264/MKV with 5.1 DD and I get no transcoding from my Roku.

fantaxp7

budget? 

Unfortunately some of the better TV's with better picture quality have smart features. Just like when I got my plasma, it came with 3d but I was paying more for the better picture quality. 

Echostorm

budget? 

Unfortunately some of the better TV's with better picture quality have smart features. Just like when I got my plasma, it came with 3d but I was paying more for the better picture quality. 

I'm not sure, I guess around 1kish. I paid about 700 for our 47" LED Vizio several years ago and it is still great.  Less is better but I'll spend what I have to for quality, my wife has health issues so we spend a lot of time in the living room.

Its a good point, I should clarify that I wouldn't pass on a smart TV that ticked all the boxes but if I can save some money and get more by passing on stuff like apps, 4k or 3d, I'm happy to do so.

Edited by Echostorm

fantaxp7

I'm not sure, I guess around 1kish. I paid about 700 for our 47" LED Vizio several years ago and it is still great.  Less is better but I'll spend what I have to for quality, my wife has health issues so we spend a lot of time in the living room.

Its a good point, I should clarify that I wouldn't pass on a smart TV that ticked all the boxes but if I can save some money and get more by passing on stuff like apps, 4k or 3d, I'm happy to do so.

heh yea, those are usually tacked onto the sets with better picture as well.

This is my pick.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T63YUJO/ref=twister_B00W4YBO1Y?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio/3793044.p?id=1219603239787&skuId=3793044

50"-60" all under 1,000 (999.99 for 60") 

Cnet review  http://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-m-series-2015/

"Finally, I can wholeheartedly recommend a 4K TV. Not because its higher pixel count makes a major difference in picture quality -- it still doesn't and 4K content in the wild is still as scarce as giant pandas -- but because it finally offers a better picture for the buck with all kinds of content than its 1080p counterparts. That TV is the Vizio M series." 

Only downsides I would say are no future picture enhancements like HDR, HFR and others...but those cost a ton right now and are only in high end sets, if at all. So basically with good picture quality and 1080p content in mind, I think this a great value. I'd go check it out if your near a best buy. 

Edited by fantaxp7

Koleckai Silvestri

I am looking at Vizio and Samsung. They both have 50" 4K televisions in my budget that are carried at Costco. Going to wait until Superbowl sales though because I see better deals then than I do on Black Friday. The three televisions we have now are all Vizios. A 40" and two 32" televisions.

Echostorm

I was reading some reviews and there was one or two where people mentioned the Vizios had trouble with motion and one that said a firmware update disabled the ability to turn off motion smoothing (which causes soap opera effect) can anyone comment?

Spaceboy

Got a Samsung ue48hu7500 last year and the picture and functionality is superb. Not to keen on internal speakers but I use a sound bar and sub