Transcoding -Asking to choose subtitle and audio track each time

xccxxx

Setting up a few boxes for relatives to stream from my PC, for this reason I'm forcing a relatively low bitrate in order to save my upload bandwidth (parents don't seem to notice any difference between HD and SD anyways :) ).

One problem is that when a transcoded file plays in Kodi it asks each time to select an audio track and/or a subtitle track. Is there a way to prevent this and have it just default to English audio track or the normal default audio track.

Trying to cut down on the confusion for once I hand these over to my parents so they don't have to select this each and every time.

Cheers!

Angelblue05

Not at this time. The issue with transcoding is once it starts playback, you can't switch audio track/subtitle track. And because tracks are not always identified with language, it's hard to build a logic around it. I have tried in the past, and it was a nightmare to get those odd cases to work correctly.

The best I could do is auto select the first track. But if the first track is not english, there won't be anything you can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers, thanks for the reply.

Another question, do subtitles actually work at all while transcoding?.

As playing around with this a bit more I find that the file will never play if I actually select a subtitle track (Playback failed, one or more items failed to play).

Selecting any of the audio tracks seems to be fine, but as soon as I select a subtitle track - no playback.

I've attached a log file to this post - the first time is playing a film and selecting no subs - it plays fine.

The second time is the same film, but this time selecting a subtitle file - results in no playback and an error.

Here's the error part of the log
09:14:54 T:1569400680  NOTICE: Creating Demuxer
09:15:24 T:1569400680   ERROR: bool CDVDPlayer::OpenDemuxStream() - Error creating demuxer
09:15:24 T:1569400680  NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit()
09:15:24 T:1104116712   ERROR: Playlist Player: skipping unplayable item: 0, path [plugin://plugin.video.emby/movies/e95bd0387aca745e3358b943621d8414/?filename=The.Muppet.Movie.1979.720p.BluRay.DTS.6ch.x264-TayTO.mkv&id=e95bd0387aca745e3358b943621d8414&mode=play]
09:15:24 T:1104116712  NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::CloseFile()
09:15:24 T:1104116712  NOTICE: DVDPlayer: waiting for threads to exit

kodi.log

Edited by xccxxx

Great, thanks. I've tested this on a an OpenElec machine and also on a Kindle Fire TV with the same result. Not sure if it would be any different on other operating systems.

Bitrate is set at 2Mbps in the Emby settings in order to force transcoding.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers, thanks for the reply.

Another question, do subtitles actually work at all while transcoding?.

As playing around with this a bit more I find that the file will never play if I actually select a subtitle track (Playback failed, one or more items failed to play).

Selecting any of the audio tracks seems to be fine, but as soon as I select a subtitle track - no playback.

I've attached a log file to this post - the first time is playing a film and selecting no subs - it plays fine.

The second time is the same film, but this time selecting a subtitle file - results in no playback and an error.

Here's the error part of the log
09:14:54 T:1569400680  NOTICE: Creating Demuxer
09:15:24 T:1569400680   ERROR: bool CDVDPlayer::OpenDemuxStream() - Error creating demuxer
09:15:24 T:1569400680  NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit()
09:15:24 T:1104116712   ERROR: Playlist Player: skipping unplayable item: 0, path [plugin://plugin.video.emby/movies/e95bd0387aca745e3358b943621d8414/?filename=The.Muppet.Movie.1979.720p.BluRay.DTS.6ch.x264-TayTO.mkv&id=e95bd0387aca745e3358b943621d8414&mode=play]
09:15:24 T:1104116712  NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::CloseFile()
09:15:24 T:1104116712  NOTICE: DVDPlayer: waiting for threads to exit

I have the same problem with some mkv, when kodi ask for audio/sub if i select a sub kodi cant play and same log in emby server.

Anyone knows the issue?

Angelblue05

I've seen it happen. I don't think we are doing anything wrong addon side, but more testing will be required to be sure.

It works for some of my subtitles. At other times, it's almost as if too demanding for the server to burn the subtitles into the video file or maybe it's crashing during the process(maybe issues with unicode characters or something). I will do more testing. Hopefully get to the bottom of this.

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

It seems to fail the first time I initiate playback. Then the second time with the same selection, it works fine. Can anyone confirm?

Edit: I just found out that we can download internal subs separately from emby and feed it to Kodi. This should solve the issue.

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

I'll be working on transcoding for the next beta version 1.1.65. This issue is not resolved with 1.1.63-64.

Edited by Angelblue05

It seems to fail the first time I initiate playback. Then the second time with the same selection, it works fine. Can anyone confirm?

I've found that it 'sometimes' will work after multiple attempts, but not always. And even when it does work once it may not work the next time again.

Edited by xccxxx
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

Yeah, well I haven't started working on the transcode yet. But I will make some adjustments. Hopefully it will perform in a more stable way.

• Like 1

Thanks AngelBlue. I've got a couple of boxes set up for my parents and sister (who live in different parts of the country to me) that are streaming/transcoding from my server. They were given explicit instructions over Xmas to 'not watch any foreign films with subtitles' until I tell them its all working :)

• 3 weeks later...
Angelblue05

Thanks for your patience all.

Please test this build, let me know if transcode with subtitles works better. This method will be slightly slower on the first playback because the server actually extract the subtitles from the content, which we then append to the player. It should work faster in following playback of the same item. Let me know if it still fails. If so, post your Kodi log, thank you. :)

Try with the latest beta version (1.1.80) and let me know how transcode with subtitles goes.

Edited by Angelblue05

screwfaze

Hi,

Thanks for all the hard work. Regarding the prompt for choosing default subtitle or audio, in my case that is the first audio is usually the one I want and don't ever really need subtitles so would like it if there was no prompts at all and I could always start again and choose them right?

Regards,

Al

• Like 1

Angelblue05

The issue is that you can't change once the content has started transcode. I could add a setting that selects the default audio track and subtitles(if any). I could maybe make it so you can bind it in keymaps (basically toggle the option, however it'll be only valid for transcode type)? Let me know what you think.

screwfaze

Hi,

Thanks for the reply it's fine I guess it's not really a big deal you probably have more important things to work on I will wait for people more clever than me to come up with the solution.

Thanks,

Al