Possibility to customize the transcoding parameters

Dan64

At the moment the trasconding page allow to set only the trancoding codec (QuickSync). On most linux hardware isn't possible to use QuickSync since is required to patch the kernel.

But similar results can be achieved using the libx264 presets. At the moment it's arcoded "-preset superfast -crf 23" but even better results can be achieved (in terms of speed) using the "-preset ultrafast".

Since the parameter "-preset" has an impact on the encoding speed, that depend on target hardware and the preset "-crf" has an impact on the bitrate/transcoded quality, that could be limited by the bandwith. It's impossible to find a configuration the fit all the possible combination of hardware/bandwith. So I'm suggesting to give to users an advanced option that allow to configure these 2 parameters allowing to set the configuration the best fit the user's hardware/bandwith.

P.S.

This actually is a Server Feature, I will re-apply the request on the Server forum.

Edited by Dan64
  • Like 1

supermau

I would love the ability to specify "-vcodec copy" since practically all clients (sans firefox) support h.264 streams and there is no need to transcode the video which is what take so much resources...

supermau

Yeah, I imagined that :) There are a few posts about just remuxing instead of transcoding... No harm done in daydreaming tho...

Edited by supermau