Slow Library Scan - No activity in log

cesalo

In post #22 I gave you information on how to determine what is taking so long. Wouldn't that be more helpful than just responding with percentages that aren't useful to anyone?

Hey @@Luke for my case what exactly are the next steps. I think based on the logs there was no activity but was still taking long time.

Please let me know.

msavazzi

In post #22 I gave you information on how to determine what is taking so long. Wouldn't that be more helpful than just responding with percentages that aren't useful to anyone?

Luke,

it does not appear to me you gave me more information.

I already posted part of the logs in the previous messages,

I already disabled all plugins as per your request

I posted the % for you to see the evolution in time.

In the post How to Report a Problem they just say to send the logs... and I did it.

What can I do to help identify the issue?

Why ffmpg is exctracting frames if I have disable everything apart NFO reading? what's that for? how do I disable it?

Also the nfo already contains all the media info you may need so why is ffprobe used? how do I disable it?

I've searched on wiki and found no reference to it...

M

Edited by msavazzi

LìLuke,

it does not appear to me you gave me more information.

I already posted part of the logs in the previous messages,

I already disabled all plugins as per your request

I posted the % for you to see the evolution in time.

In the post How to Report a Problem they just say to send the logs... and I did it.

What can I do to help identify the issue?

Why ffmpg is exctracting frames if I have disable everything apart NFO reading? what's that for? how do I disable it?

I've searched on wiki and found no reference to it...

M

Can you post the complete log file and not a portion? thanks.

I see your long scan of 630 minutes, and the non-debug log unfortunately doesn't say much, but it does indicate some activity with chapter image exaction and that is something that can be very slow. There is a good chance that was the issue. Chapter image extraction is off by default so it would have had to be explicitly enabled in order for the server to attempt to extract them.

msavazzi

I see your long scan of 630 minutes, and the non-debug log unfortunately doesn't say much, but it does indicate some activity with chapter image exaction and that is something that can be very slow. There is a good chance that was the issue. Chapter image extraction is off by default so it would have had to be explicitly enabled in order for the server to attempt to extract them.

I've never enabled it... how can I check? but it appears to me to have only disabled options not enabled but I can have made a mistake

and also where they should be saved? because I have choosen to save everything in content folder and I do not see any image apart the ones I have chosen with EMM

Edited by msavazzi

in the servers' internal metadata folder. the settings are in the web interface under metadata -> advanced

I'm sorry that's my mistake. That's not the issue. yes disabling the people features can also improve it. There might not be much left to disable then. On some systems the initial scan can take a while to probe your media because we're running ffprobe against every audio and video file.

msavazzi

I'm sorry that's my mistake. That's not the issue. yes disabling the people features can also improve it. There might not be much left to disable then. On some systems the initial scan can take a while to probe your media because we're running ffprobe against every audio and video file.

Luke,

I would suggest a change in the program and you run the ffprobe ONLY if in the nfo there are no info on the file.

In my info I have:

<fileinfo>
    <streamdetails>
      <video>
        <codec>mpeg2video</codec>
        <micodec>mpeg2video</micodec>
        <bitrate>3116152</bitrate>
        <width>544</width>
        <height>576</height>
        <aspect>4:3</aspect>
        <aspectratio>4:3</aspectratio>
        <framerate>25</framerate>
        <scantype>progressive</scantype>
        <default>False</default>
        <forced>False</forced>
        <duration>78</duration>
        <durationinseconds>4685</durationinseconds>
      </video>
      <audio>
        <codec>mp2</codec>
        <micodec>mp2</micodec>
        <bitrate>160000</bitrate>
        <language>ita</language>
        <channels>2</channels>
        <samplingrate>48000</samplingrate>
        <default>False</default>
        <forced>False</forced>
      </audio>
      <audio>
        <codec>mp2</codec>
        <micodec>mp2</micodec>
        <bitrate>160000</bitrate>
        <language>und</language>
        <channels>2</channels>
        <samplingrate>48000</samplingrate>
        <default>False</default>
        <forced>False</forced>
      </audio>
    </streamdetails>
  </fileinfo>

so there is no need to do it.

I would suggest you change it in next release because if it was changing from 3 min to 5 min it was ok but here we are talkin of 10H 30 min :) is a little bit too much.

We can't do that sorry. We depend on that information for streaming and transcoding purposes. If we put it in a place where it can be user-customized then it will just be complete chaos. I can only imagine all the "Emby doesn't work" reports we'd get. Yea well, you changed the video codec :)

msavazzi

We can't do that sorry. We depend on that information for streaming and transcoding purposes. If we put it in a place where it can be user-customized then it will just be complete chaos. I can only imagine all the "Emby doesn't work" reports we'd get. Yea well, you changed the video codec :)

haha ok... you have a very good point...

what to put an advanced option for smart users ?

something like: change this and you are doomed! :) Be carefull of what you do....

Edited by msavazzi

msavazzi

Luke,

today Emby started to update the library. I just added 1 content...

It's super super slow again....

I will give you more details later... (once finished)

• 1 month later...
oyvindo

I have the same problem. After 15 hours - 74,9% !?!?!  It took Emby over an hour to move from 74,7% to 74,9%  !!

WTF is going on?

I have the same problem. After 15 hours - 74,9% !?!?!  It took Emby over an hour to move from 74,7% to 74,9%  !!

WTF is going on?

On some systems the initial scan can take a while to probe your media because we're running ffprobe against every audio and video file.

oyvindo

I killed Mono and rebooted the server and launced Emby. Now everything is back to normal. 

Please excuse my blowout....