CoverArt - Huge performance impact

pclausen

pclausen

5781.4 still showing up as the latest version under available plugins.  Should I obtain the beta via an alternate source?

pclausen

Ah I see.  I misread ebr's response and thought the reference was to the latest beta of Emby server with the db changes.  Installed CA 4.0.9.5 Beta and unfortunately it made no difference.

Peter

pclausen

Hey ebr, I copied that dll file to the plugin directory and restarted the whole Emby plugin.  When it came back up, it immediately told me there was a new version of CA (4.0.9.6), so I let it install it and then restarted again.

Unfortunately it made no difference as far as the issue I'm experiencing.

Untoten

I experienced the same thing, CA killing performance, is all the data being loaded into RAM when it's being processed?  It would make sense how after 2000 large data items it bogs down, with the 32 bit app memory limit.

• 4 weeks later...
Swynol

any news on this? its getting worse. if i want to browse to a TV episode from Emby Theatre home screen it can take a few mins before i can find and play the file. if i remove coverart it takes seconds.

how is covertart applied, does it take a copy of the poster apply its treatment then re save it as a cached file? can it not save it as an alternative poster in the folder with the rest of the images?

Edited by Swynol

The issue is not in creating the treatments as that is cached and only done when needed.

What version of the server and CA do you have?

Happy2Play

There has to be something system related,  as I mentioned previously having 2 server and this only happens on one of them.  ET won't open "all movies" at all or take over 30 second it they do open on the system that has the delay.  And removing CA opens all within seconds.

Edited by Happy2Play

Swynol

i'm currently installing emby server afresh on my test system. will see if that has the same error.

running server Version 3.0.5806.0

coverart - 4.0.9.8

but its been happening for a while about a year maybe. for now i've removed coverart off my main system to make it more usable.

when the images are cached cant they be saved locally in the media folders as then it should be instant like it is with coverart removed. does it re-treat each poster after exiting emby theatre and reloading it as thats when its the slowest.

If you configure all your Collection and Folder treatments to "ignore" does it make a difference?

when the images are cached cant they be saved locally in the media folders as then it should be instant like it is with coverart removed. does it re-treat each poster after exiting emby theatre and reloading it as thats when its the slowest.

CA isn't being invoked at all to treat images when this problem occurs so it has nothing to do with the actual image access.

I'm pretty sure it is related to the logic that is required in order to know if something needs to be re-treated but I thought I mitigated that issue with the last release so I'm a bit lost as to the exact issue now.

pclausen

I'm in the process of standing up a new server using all the hardware in my sig, except the LSI HBAs and current hard disks are being replaced with an Areca 1882 coupled with 12 6TB WD Red drives.  It will have a clean install of Windows 10 64-bit.  If that doesn't make a different, I don't know what will.

Btw, I'm still having the issue on my temp FreeNAS server, which runs a Z87 mobo with a 4690K CPU and 16 GB RAM, and all the LSI controllers and drives from the old system.  So for me at least, this does not appear to be system related.  It will be interesting to see how it performs in a bare metal Windows install with all storage 100% local.

Swynol

setting CA to ignore speeds it up considerably but still not quite as fast as having CA uninstalled.

could internet speeds have any bearing on it, i live in a remote area with rubbish speeds.

Swynol

my server is similar to your old system however running win7 x64 with a lsi sas controller. all me media is local plus i run ET on it so it shouldnt be pulling any data over the network

setting CA to ignore speeds it up considerably but still not quite as fast as having CA uninstalled.

You set everything to ignore or just Collections/Folders?

Swynol

setting it to just ignore the stuff in this screen shot has made a good improvement. so now its treating my media (movies, blu ray, tv, and 3d) as normal. the first time loading each section on ET was alot quicker, still not as quick as with out CA installed. once all the images were cached it was fine. however every time i close ET and reload it has to re-cache all the images.

i notice its at its slowest when going into a TV Season, when trying to cache all the episode images. can take about 30 seconds to a min to load around 15 - 20 episode images.

569433e05258e_Untitled.png

Edited by Swynol

Swynol

i should also mention that I see very little to no slow down on the Web Client or any other clients except for ET.

would having my cache path set as a network share rather than local cause any performance issues?

Edited by Swynol

i should also mention that I see very little to no slow down on the Web Client or any other clients except for ET.

Then it is likely you are experiencing some other issue.

would having my cache path set as a network share rather than local cause any performance issues?

Certainly could as the difference in latency in accessing a network share vs, say, a local SSD would be pretty large.  Not sure that's what you are dealing with here though.

• 3 weeks later...
pclausen

As the OP, I'm happy to report that with the latest beta version of Emby server, which performed a data base update as part of the process, completely solved the issue with the slowness.  Everything is lighting fast now!

• Like 1

As the OP, I'm happy to report that with the latest beta version of Emby server, which performed a data base update as part of the process, completely solved the issue with the slowness.  Everything is lighting fast now!

Glad to hear it, although, it's really only the beginning as most of the system isn't fully taking advantage of it yet :)

• Like 3