Collection Views...

Koleckai Silvestri

Koleckai Silvestri

"Collection Views" is weird terminology but couldn't think of anything else. Let me explain.

I would like to be able to set a flag on a Collection or "Boxed Set" so that it can shows up as a View alongside Movies, Television, Music, etc... We can do this for individual Libraries now but that requires altering the folder structure. With the ability to flag a Collection as a view, Admins could make collections for Christmas / Holidays, Halloween, Their Kid's Birthday Party, etc... When you want that view accessible, go set the flag and it shows up as a View. When it shouldn't be shown anymore, unset the flag.

• Like 3

MrWebsmith

so... almost.. -ish..  you want the ability to take a "tagged set of items" and promote it to library view status based on that tag/tags...   only saying tags cause its a function already built in to "collate" items together based on some arbitrary logic that you are providing...

yea.. id have uses for this as well... good idea

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

I don't use tags myself. Haven't really found a use for them and they aren't automatically filled by any metadata tool. Nor is there any interface to actually do anything with them once applied.

Collections are easier to build and organize.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

Vidman

so... almost.. -ish.. you want the ability to take a "tagged set of items" and promote it to library view status based on that tag/tags... only saying tags cause its a function already built in to "collate" items together based on some arbitrary logic that you are providing...

yea.. id have uses for this as well... good idea

Well collections are also " a function already built in to "collate" items together based on some arbitrary logic that you are providing..."

And as you can assign a title and metadata images to collections I think collections would make more sense

Edited by Vidman
  • Like 1

AdrianW

I have an Xmas collection - I just add it around Christmas and then remove it sometime in the new year. Very simple process not much harder than setting / resetting a flag.

Koleckai Silvestri

I have an Xmas collection - I just add it around Christmas and then remove it sometime in the new year. Very simple process not much harder than setting / resetting a flag.

Sounds like you have a Christmas Library. Yes, that is one way as well. But then when you have dozens of libraries, it makes disk management more difficult. Plus I would like the movies to be available year-round. Not just specific times.

On the other hand, Collections are virtual and can contain Movies, Television and Music in one location. You don't need to move your media into specific Library folders and risk losing the rich Metadata views.