Collections sync: Emby for Kodi

Diedrich

Diedrich

I tried to modify a custom collection within Kodi (tried to add additional movies to a collection). I then synced the database, went into Emby web client but did not see the new movies in the collection. I then had to resort to adding the movies within the Emby client and then sync/restart Kodi.

Did I do something wrong in Kodi or is it not possible to sync collections from Kodi to Emby? If it's not currently available, I would like to request this function, please.

puithove

All metadata / library management should be happening on the Emby server.  The sync is one-way with Emby being in control.  The only thing that syncs back from Kodi is watched status.

Diedrich

All metadata / library management should be happening on the Emby server. The sync is one-way with Emby being in control. The only thing that syncs back from Kodi is watched status.

Understood. Thank you. But, to poke the bear with a stick; isn't media deletion within Kodi a form of 'library management'? Why can't the manipulation of collections also be bidirectional?

Angelblue05

Understood. Thank you. But, to poke the bear with a stick; isn't media deletion within Kodi a form of 'library management'? Why can't the manipulation of collections also be bidirectional?

We'd have to check what kind of event Kodi fires when modifying collections within Kodi. I haven't really checked.

Diedrich

I agree, we should not be deleting media via Kodi, it should all be one way.

That would be the most inconvenient thing ever. It works great as it is now.
  • Like 1

xnappo

We don't delete media in Kodi, we send a request to the server to delete the media. 

It is conceivably possible to use the context menu or something to do something similar, but it is considerably more difficult.

None of the native Emby clients support this AFAIK.

Edited by xnappo

Diedrich

your list of inconvenient things must be short for this to be on top :-)

Yes, core functions is a very short list.

Vidman

That would be the most inconvenient thing ever. It works great as it is now.

well you did bring it up when you questioned why it was allowed :) Edited by Vidman
  • Like 1

Diedrich

well you did bring it up when you questioned why it was allowed :)

Haha, I know - but it was meant as a support statement to my collections editing request.

Diedrich

Completely understand and am so grateful that you guys have created a add-on that works so well. It's greatly appreciated! Thank you, all.

Angelblue05

I have checked, and unfortunately, Kodi doesn't fire an event when movie sets are modified. So there's no way for our add-on to react upon the action.

In the end, our main goal is to use Kodi as a player only, because that's what it is best at and use Emby to manage/modify the metadata.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Diedrich

I have checked, and unfortunately, Kodi doesn't fire an event when movie sets are modified. So there's no way for our add-on to react upon the action.

In the end, our main goal is to use Kodi as a player only, because that's what it is best at and use Emby to manage/modify the metadata.

Thank you for taking the time to look into that, I really appreciate it.

Angelblue05

No problem. But I suspect eventually we could support something like that, with the help of a context menu option (only available in Isengard or higher). But this would be implemented way down the line.