Can not access Emby Server from outside of local network

schmitty

No in most cases you should be able to leave that blank and let the server figure it out. Was the external address that you entered different from the one that was being displayed on the front page of the server dashboard?

AmericanCrisis

I think there is a lot of confusion in the arena of setting up a server to access remotely.  I've seen quite a bit of different information from administrators/developers and end users here.  

Here is what I understand has to happen on the very basic level and how to make it happen.

*Something has to act as DHCP server.  My wireiess router supposedly (Netgear R7000) acts as one.  

-First set up a static IP address on the Emby server PC/NAS.  For a Windows PC follow these instructions for setting up a static IP address (It is actually Win8 instructions but should apply to 10 as well).

-Next you'll reserve the IP address to that machine so that your DHCP server (again... my wireless router) isn't assigning that IP address to a different device... For Netgear routers log into the router and go to the advanced tab/Setup/LAN setup/ check box "Use router as DHCP server" - and then add the address (this will be the PC/server you have Emby server installed on).  

-I further set up a Dynamic DNS service under the Advanced Setup (Netgear provides one free of charge from no-ip).  I do not think this is necessary with Emby anymore since Connect has been implemented (it was, however very useful prior to Connect).

*I'm not entirely sure why people are configuring HTTPS.  I think this is what is getting people no connection errors and the like.  What is the benefit for doing this?  Under my advanced/hosting (Emby dashboard) I see a local and remote HTTPS port number but I'm unable to do anything with it.  After typing https://myserver.com:8920 into chrome remotely I get a connection timed out error.  Perhaps I'd need to set up something in my router for this?  

*Lastly, don't forget to forward the ports... I only forwarded port 8096 (probably why my 8920 ins't working?)... here is a link to forwarding ports for Netgear routers. 

AmericanCrisis

Strangely enough I just had a problem connecting remotely after writing my last post.  I was roaming around in my router webgui and noticed there was an update... after updating I was unable to connect remotely.  I noticed no settings were changed so I rebooted both the server, client (android phone) and the router.  I still wasn't able to connect.  What I ended up doing was changing the name of the forwarded port from "Mediabrowser" to "Emby" and that seemed to do the trick.  It may be a fluke but worth a try for anyone still have problems.

• 5 months later...
schmitty

When signing in to Emby Connect... why does it not show the server, and I have to manually enter the IP address?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When signing in to Emby Connect... why does it not show the server, and I have to manually enter the IP address?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check your Emby Server dashboard and make sure you have linked your users to Emby Connect. You can verify with the presence of a cloud icon on your users.