Samsung 2015 Tizen OS, My Content and how to stream correctly the subtitles

eTomm

So I have been performing some tests on my Samsung JS8500 DLNA concentrating mostly to the subtitles part.

This is what I learned.

Samsung My Content won't read any subtitles streamed using the old Samsung Smart TV profile.

If the format is MKV and the subtitles is muxed in it will work, if it is srt format. 

But Emby is not able to activate it or disable it (that is a minor problem if you are then able to do everything from the tv)

So the question now is:

I couldn't find any way to tell emby to mux all video to mkv without reencoding and to mux in the subtitles.

Despite all, muxing an MKV isn't requiring so much cpu power and we would be able to mux in all the audio and the subtitles, giving the user the opportunity to choose all from the tv.

Anyone?

barrettuk

Just got a JS7000 and found out the app will not work on this so tried DLNA and that doesn't work either - I get to see the movies list but can't play anything (MKV's) so I can't comment on subtitles just yet. Did you have to do anything special to get your 8500 working via DLNA?

Edited by barrettuk

Hi, I created a Samsung Smart TV 2015 profile starting from the default one. I modified in the identification part the user-agent, inserting the very same SEC_ but with user-agent written completely uppercase USER-AGENT.

This did the trick. 

Then I completely unsatisfied with how the tv manages the streams... It seems that for samsungs new tv the best way to send something dlna to them would be sending the muxed mkv.

• 3 months later...
barrettuk

Please can someone help me - I still can't get anything to play on my Samsung JS7000 TV via DLNA - I don't know anything about profiles but did find the field about USER-AGENT and created one uppercase as aTomm suggested. I still get a error on the TV and nothing plays. Very sad to have this problem so any help please. I got this TV thinking it would be common and easy supported :-(

Unfortunately, that was the only required trick to make it works. In the meantime I dropped the usage of the dlna player of the tv and switched to a more comfortable chromecast

barrettuk

I could add a Chromecast and I have been using the Intel stick and the Emby App but I would love for the TV to work without those add-ons - I normally by LG but it sounded like support for Samsung was better went that way when I needed a new TV not knowing its broken :-(

Anyone else know how to fix this or is DNLA to much of a pain to get working. - I only want to use it as a play to device.