slight lag when loading artwork in roku for emby app

1971camaroguy

1971camaroguy

Just wanted to check and make sure I am not missing something. It seems like this was working fine several updates ago but something has changed. 

But when I click on the emby app in roku there is a slight lag when populating the rows and artwork. Just a few seconds for the next row to show up but enough to be annoying. It's not crisp and snappy. But once the row shows up it's fine.

I have TV separated into individual folders by type (comedy, action, horror) which shows up at the rows and the shows are inside each folder with it's own properly named folder. Inside that folder is each season. All named correctly with correct metadata and artwork. This part is corret and mapped correctly inn emby.

I have a AMD computer running a 4 core processor, sata III connectors and 16gb of ram. It's running windows 7 64 bit with emby and this is a stand alone machine and not used for anything else.

The main drive is a 120gb Kingston SSD and the storage drives are 2TB sata 6gb drives. All of the folder artwork are contained within the folders on the storage drives.

My network is pretty solid, I'm running the server through a gigabit cisco switch, hardwired to the roku's

Not sure what else I can do, maybe store the cache location separately on a usb stick with ready boost?

Any ideas? Thanks again

bennymac

For what it's worth I've always noticed a very slight lag when Roku populates it's rows and I've always found it to be acceptable and normal considering what it's doing. Every setup I've seen with a Roku regardless of it's underlying hardware has always been that slight delay.

Once emby creates a cache of all the images the only slowness is the size of the json, serializing it, and rendering it as a row. The only way to speed this up is reduce the size of the json payload simplifying it. This isnt practical, because there isnt much extraneous data in the json payload. Filtering the payload ahead of time, will slow the server response, but speed up the roku. The speed benefit of this might be mere milliseconds. The juice isnt worth the squeeze. There isnt enough time savings to justify this.

Are you using enhanced images, such as cover art? This can cause lag initially until the cache is built. But this shouldn't cause severe lag. The new firmware, has slower garbage collection routines. This might be what you are seeing if your library is large. The roku cant put every image in the heap, and screen stack. So you might see lag, and every image as a placeholder when the roku is being used on a larger library.

You may also need to clean your library.db of clutter. Especially if you have missing/upcoming enabled, use plugin channels, use live tv, etc.

Just throwing in my 2 cents worth. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

bennymac

Once emby creates a cache of all the images the only slowness is the size of the json, serializing it, and rendering it as a row. The only way to speed this up is reduce the size of the json payload simplifying it. This isnt practical, because there isnt much extraneous data in the json payload. Filtering the payload ahead of time, will slow the server response, but speed up the roku. The speed benefit of this might be mere milliseconds. The juice isnt worth the squeeze. There isnt enough time savings to justify this.

Are you using enhanced images, such as cover art? This can cause lag initially until the cache is built. But this shouldn't cause severe lag. The new firmware, has slower garbage collection routines. This might be what you are seeing if your library is large. The roku cant put every image in the heap, and screen stack. So you might see lag, and every image as a placeholder when the roku is being used on a larger library.

You may also need to clean your library.db of clutter. Especially if you have missing/upcoming enabled, use plugin channels, use live tv, etc.

Good to know :)

• 2 weeks later...
1971camaroguy

Thanks, I have a large library spanned out over three (3 TB) hard drives at about 1/2 full each. But my TV library alone is an easy 600gb or more. I have noticed my main 120 gb SSD drive that runs the OS and emby has about  5.7gb left on it. This is a stand alone system it only functions as a media server running emby. I noticed my data folder has gotten large inside the MediaBrowser-Server folder. About 28.6 gb. 

I do have the cover art plugin installed. But only had it generating covers for the movie folders and ignoring the TV folders.

It may not make much difference but I am running a motherboard with a AMD FX 3.8 ghz quad core processor and 16gb ram. I noticed that my mother board only supports sata II, which I'm not getting the full speed of my sata III ssd. I went ahead and ordered a new motherboard with sata III,  a 240 GB SSD, and a AMD Godarvi Quad-core 3.9 ghz processor. 

I'm going to do a fresh install of the OS and emby with the new set-up and see how that works out. I'm hoping the difference in the sata II and III makes a difference. It may not.

Thanks for the advice everyone, if it still is giving me issues on the lag, I'll pull the logs

Happy2Play

Thanks, I have a large library spanned out over three (3 TB) hard drives at about 1/2 full each. But my TV library alone is an easy 600gb or more. I have noticed my main 120 gb SSD drive that runs the OS and emby has about  5.7gb left on it. This is a stand alone system it only functions as a media server running emby. I noticed my data folder has gotten large inside the MediaBrowser-Server folder. About 28.6 gb. 

I do have the cover art plugin installed. But only had it generating covers for the movie folders and ignoring the TV folders.

It may not make much difference but I am running a motherboard with a AMD FX 3.8 ghz quad core processor and 16gb ram. I noticed that my mother board only supports sata II, which I'm not getting the full speed of my sata III ssd. I went ahead and ordered a new motherboard with sata III,  a 240 GB SSD, and a AMD Godarvi Quad-core 3.9 ghz processor. 

I'm going to do a fresh install of the OS and emby with the new set-up and see how that works out. I'm hoping the difference in the sata II and III makes a difference. It may not.

Thanks for the advice everyone, if it still is giving me issues on the lag, I'll pull the logs

What is taking up so much space in the DATA folder?  My large server of 30TB, the data folder is only 2GB.