Windows 10, DTS-HD, no downmixing

leed
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Hello all,

This is admittedly not really a Emby problem but appears to be related to windows 10, just looking to see if anyone has a suggestion. I have scoured the internet. FIrst of all, new to Emby, and I really like what I'm seeing so far. So the issue is I have a HTPC connected to an old 5.1 Kenwood reciever via HDMI (with an optical out splitter since the Kenwood has no HDMI inputs). I have a 2.1 stereo setup. With videos containing either DTS or Dolby Digital, the audio is not downmixed to stereo  in WIndows 10. I get just the left and right channels of what is clearly a multichannel surround output (dialogue goes in and out, etc.)

Now these same files will play the audio fine in stereo with a Windows 8.1 PC or with my Ubuntu PC, with no change the reciever settings. Perfect stereo sound. WIth Windows 10 the problem exists with Emby or with VLC. Jriver Media Center with WIndows 10 will play the audio, but it is downmixing prior to sending the audio out of the PC.

Question is, does Emby have a downmixing option? I don't wish to transcode but would rather retain the HD audio in stereo. I have tried messing around with the audio device drivers, updating driver, deleting the driver and restarting, rolling back to the generic windows driver, etc. ANy suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks!

Edited by leed

• Solution

Sounds to me like you just need to go through the Windows speaker setup and tell it you only have L/R and sub.

• Like 1

Dude Ebr - thank you! Sometimes it is the simplest little thing that can throw everything off. That did work. In case anyone else has this issue - Windows 10 is configured out of the box with 7.1 sound, at least it was for me. So if you "upgrade" to windows 10 & are using any other audio setup than that, you may have issues. Right click the speaker icon in the systray>playback devices>highlight whatever your HDMI output is and click configure. Choose stereo, in my case, or whatever setup you want and Bob's yer uncle.

Thanks again!