Support for older browsers

computerwiz

computerwiz

So ever since the updates beyond ver 3.0.5641.4 there seems to be zero support for older browsers using the webclient. (IE8/9 Opera 12.17)  Please correct me if I am wrong.

What happened?

Poor kids, using the old laptop, the old pc... the clunker of the house now cant even log into the main page to view the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving Special we have loaded on the NAS.

How can this be fixed?  Installing a different browser isn't a solution... as in, 'hey my car wont start'... 'oh just replace the engine'  mmm hmmm.  Poor mechanic there.

Fixing this also fixes the 'video error' message.

I know IE8 may not support html5 but Opera12.17 does.

Thanks

Edited by computerwiz

I apologize, but this isn't going to happen. Modern browsers today offer native features that allow web apps to do the same kinds of things that regular apps do. There's a lot of exciting directions that we can take the web app in, but we can't do it if we have to support these older browsers. the good news is Chrome installs on just about anything and runs very fast.

As far as Opera goes - yes Opera is a great choice. They are doing a very nice job of implementing new features and in many ways it is the second best choice after Chrome. 

But I'm afraid 12 is too old. Opera is up to version 33 now.

Koleckai Silvestri

As long as those old laptops are running Windows 7 or even a Linux client that is a few years old, try the newer browsers on them. You might be surprised and get a performance boost in the process.

Beardyname

So ever since the updates beyond ver 3.0.5641.4 there seems to be zero support for older browsers using the webclient. (IE8/9 Opera 12.17)  Please correct me if I am wrong.

What happened?

Poor kids, using the old laptop, the old pc... the clunker of the house now cant even log into the main page to view the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving Special we have loaded on the NAS.

How can this be fixed?  Installing a different browser isn't a solution... as in, 'hey my car wont start'... 'oh just replace the engine'  mmm hmmm.  Poor mechanic there.

Fixing this also fixes the 'video error' message.

I know IE8 may not support html5 but Opera12.17 does.

Thanks

A full fledged client as in MBT or kodi with the emby addon should still work without a hitch ( I think)