Set default streaming client rate

runtimesandbox

Server Dashboard->Playback->Streaming

That will actually set a limit that will keep your external clients from requesting a rate that is higher than you want and saturating your bandwidth.

Otherwise, you can set the rate individually in each client.

runtimesandbox

My assumption (possibly incorrectly) was that this stops the clients requesting any bit rate above this value? 

It doesn't stop them requesting it but it will limit what they actually get (minor distinction but, perhaps important).

Also, I believe this only applies to WAN connections.  Local LAN clients will not be limited.

@@ebr, it actually does affect local Lan connections where transcoding happens. At least it does for me when transcoding to iPad air. Luke is aware...

runtimesandbox

How is the default rate set then? is that hard coded somewhere? For me its seems to default to 3mb

Whilst my internet can handle that, i would rather it defaulted to 1.5 so that other internet services aren't affected but I would like the option of 3 or more when I want it.

Edited by spudy12

As per post 2 in this thread. If you set the server at 1.5Mbps that's all you will get regardless of any other settings. That's until Luke fixes it anyway. Cheers.

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Tapatalk

How is the default rate set then? is that hard coded somewhere? For me its seems to default to 3mb

This would depend on the app being used but, yes, most of them will have some sort of default.  Most of them will allow you to change that except maybe the Web client which, I think, made the decision to revert to the default on each instance.

runtimesandbox

This would depend on the app being used but, yes, most of them will have some sort of default.  Most of them will allow you to change that except maybe the Web client which, I think, made the decision to revert to the default on each instance.

Has this default been changed recently? From what I remember when I first tested it was that it defaulted to 1.5mb. 

Is it possible to add this somewhere down the line as something that can be set for the web interface on the server? 

• 2 weeks later...

That will actually set a limit that will keep your external clients from requesting a rate that is higher than you want and saturating your bandwidth.

As per post 2 in this thread. If you set the server at 1.5Mbps that's all you will get regardless of any other settings. That's until Luke fixes it anyway. Cheers.

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Tapatalk

That seems to be what I am experiencing. If I set "Internet streaming bitrate limit (Mbps): 2",  whatever bitrate the user chooses when outside of the LAN, the client will get 2 and only 2Mbps (no more, no less). Is that a know issue? Should I officially report the bug?

shorty1483

That seems to be what I am experiencing. If I set "Internet streaming bitrate limit (Mbps): 2",  whatever bitrate the user chooses when outside of the LAN, the client will get 2 and only 2Mbps (no more, no less). Is that a know issue? Should I officially report the bug?

This is the default setting for usage remotely from outside the LAN. There is no sense that a client sets/requests 10 Mbit/s when the users WAN upload rate is e.g. just 3 Mbit/s. So the Inernet streaming rate overwrites the requested one from client if it's higher.

Edited by shorty1483

That is expected behavior, unless the user in the client app specifics a lower value. But once you configure that setting they will not be able to exceed it.

• 4 weeks later...

That is expected behavior, unless the user in the client app specifics a lower value. But once you configure that setting they will not be able to exceed it.

So what is not expected behavior is that the client won't get a lower bitrate even if he specified so. I will start a new thread to report the issue.

• 2 weeks later...
DGMayor

So if I set this to 4, and then I try to stream a show or movie while at the office, it comes up saying that it's running at 10.  Is the client reporting incorrectly, or is the setting not working for me?

runtimesandbox

So if I set this to 4, and then I try to stream a show or movie while at the office, it comes up saying that it's running at 10.  Is the client reporting incorrectly, or is the setting not working for me?

i believe that is how its supposed to work. The client will be requesting 10 but the server will only give out up to 4. I don't there is any communication between the the client and server saying sorry 4 is the max. 

• 1 year later...

I know it's a late post, but can this be implemented for LAN clients, too? When opening a web browswer viewer on LAN (or on the same PC as the server), it always defaults to the hightest setting (direct).... and then I always have to reduce it.

I know it's a late post, but can this be implemented for LAN clients, too? When opening a web browswer viewer on LAN (or on the same PC as the server), it always defaults to the hightest setting (direct).... and then I always have to reduce it.

It should be remembering that value though. Is this not happening or are you clearing browsing data?

If it works for everyone else, it must be a setting in my firefox and Chrome browsers which I am not paying attention to.

Would be comfortable with a server-side limit, though. :)

Edited by Jennice

• 1 year later...
embyzone

I can't find this setting anywhere?

I would like to set a Max on quality for transcoding when streaming through WAN?