Restoring Data from "Mediabrowser-Server" after reinstall

serioustk
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

serioustk
Hey Folks, I have a problem restoring my Emby Server.

I installed Emby Server way back when it was called Mediabrowser Server. Added my movie collection and was really happy. I also did regular updates.

Few days ago I decided to change the server hardware and upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (no comments to this please ;-) ) by doing a fresh manual install. 

Before, I backed up the config files of my Emby server under User\Username\AppData\Roaming... and here comes the problem:

this directory was called "Mediabrowser-Server" on the old machine. When I do a clean fresh install of Emby now, the directory is called "Emby-Server". When I copy back the contents all my library is gone and it is not possible to scan for media. I looked through some DB files and found that there are paths that redirect to "...\Mediabrowser-Server".

So, how can I restore my library? Movies and TV Series Data are important to me, user configuration and stuff like that can be reconfigured...

I am really thankful for any advice.

Kind regards,

serioustk

• Solution

You probably aren't going to be able to do that as some internals have changed and things are treated differently for fresh installs vs. older ones.

You will need to allow the databases to re-build themselves.  Hopefully, you stored metadata with your media which will greatly speed up the process.  If not, you might consider enabling that on this re-build.

• Like 1

Psycnotics

Hi,

if you DONT have stored metadata with your media, like me do this :

i do this years ago too. I mouve Meadiabrowser 3 from a Test Machine to a Windows Server 2012 R2.

First what you need to do is make the same HARDDRIVE config like in the olde Machine 1:1 ... all your Path must be the SAME

Second you must Copy the Folder FROM THE OLD PC :  C:\Users\OLDNAMEUSER\appdata\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\      to the new Machine (the best is with THE USER SAME NAME)  for this Problem : http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/26866-after-update-and-clean-database-all-image-and-tumb-lost/?hl=lost

Last step is to install the Service if you need it, if not just Star Emby and is Works.

All must be 1:1, you canot install a new EMBY you must COPY it 1:1, then it works.

Martin

P.s.: If u need Help i can Help You,  AND if you dont have MUTCH Files, make a Clean Install.

Edited by Psycnotics

Since you're coming from an older install, I would not advise this and would instead follow Ebr's instructions and rebuild using the web interface. Newer installations are more capable of running portable but i'm not sure yours will be depending on when you first instaleld.

serioustk

Hi,

if you DONT have stored metadata with your media, like me do this :

i do this years ago too. I mouve Meadiabrowser 3 from a Test Machine to a Windows Server 2012 R2.

First what you need to do is make the same HARDDRIVE config like in the olde Machine 1:1 ... all your Path must be the SAME

Second you must Copy the Folder FROM THE OLD PC :  C:\Users\OLDNAMEUSER\appdata\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\      to the new Machine (the best is with THE USER SAME NAME)  for this Problem : http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/26866-after-update-and-clean-database-all-image-and-tumb-lost/?hl=lost

Last step is to install the Service if you need it, if not just Star Emby and is Works.

All must be 1:1, you canot install a new EMBY you must COPY it 1:1, then it works.

Martin

P.s.: If u need Help i can Help You,  AND if you dont have MUTCH Files, make a Clean Install.

This is exactly what I tried first because I read about this method in another thread by Luke:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/10427-how-to-migrate-media-browser-server/

That just didn't work out.

I made a fresh clean install now. That also got good sides as I managed to sort some old/bad stuff out and now have more space again. Spring cleaning in autumn ;-)

Thank you all for your help and your responses!

Have a nice weekend!