Music Metadata consistency

s3thg3ck9

s3thg3ck9

I have troubles getting my music collection set up properly and can find info about the following:

When the Web client is sorted by albums it sometimes shows album title and interpet (what would be correct) and some times only the album title for albums that are properly linked to musicbrainz.

On "While a Nation Sleeps" the interpret is properly shown above the album title.

On the Rookie EP it's not shown.

Both are properly linked to musicbrainz and "show artist" does display both of them correctly.

564b55d900c53_embyalbums.png

Any ideas?

s3thg3ck9

what do the tags within the audio files look like?

Boysetsfire is set as Interpret AND Album-Interpret

For the other two only the Interpret Tag is set.

Guess that makes the differences, although that's prett odd... :(

s3thg3ck9

what does Interpret AND Album-Interpret mean? we just look at the tags data that comes out of ffprobe

Directly from ffprobe:

Boysetsfire:

Input #0, mp3, from 'bsf.mp3':
  Metadata:
    album           : While a Nation Sleeps...
    artist          : BoySetsFire
    album_artist    : BoySetsFire
    TSRC            : US2Y71300041
    title           : Heads Will Roll
    track           : 3
    date            : 2013

Proleter:

Input #0, mp3, from 'pro.mp3':
  Metadata:
    album           : Rookie EP
    composer        : ProleteR
    genre           : electroswing
    encoded_by      : Jamendo:http://www.jamendo.com| LAME
    title           : My Melancholy Baby
    artist          : ProleteR
    track           : 5
    date            : 2014

Happy2Play

If there is no Album Artist tag you will only see the Album name, not artist and album as your screen shot shows.

s3thg3ck9

If there is no Album Artist tag you will only see the Album name, not artist and album as your screen shot shows.

Thanks, thought so. As this can not be set via Emby's Meta Data Manager what would be best practice to get this on track?

Deathsquirrel

Thanks, thought so. As this can not be set via Emby's Meta Data Manager what would be best practice to get this on track?

I use MP3Tag to ensure all my desired tags are filled in for my music files.  Emby picks up the data I enter without issue.

I will echo Deathsquirrel on the MP3Tag suggestion. It is my favorite tool for making bulk edits to music file tags. Specifically, I do bulk edits on the Genre tag quickly and painlessly with that tool all the time.

However, if you need to do more than just set a bunch of singular tags (like album artist in a specific directory) you may want to try Musicbrainz Picard. It will help you identify the tracks and fill in many of the missing or wrong data elements. I also have MediaMonkey installed, because it does a better job of getting album covers.

s3thg3ck9

I will echo Deathsquirrel on the MP3Tag suggestion. It is my favorite tool for making bulk edits to music file tags. Specifically, I do bulk edits on the Genre tag quickly and painlessly with that tool all the time.

However, if you need to do more than just set a bunch of singular tags (like album artist in a specific directory) you may want to try Musicbrainz Picard. It will help you identify the tracks and fill in many of the missing or wrong data elements. I also have MediaMonkey installed, because it does a better job of getting album covers.

This is helpful indeed. Thank you very much! :)