How is metadata synced exactly?

s3thg3ck9

s3thg3ck9

Hi guys,

I'm just trying to decide between an Emby or Plex setup on the server side.

There is one big question which will be crucial for my descission:

When using the Emby Add-on for Kodi will the metadata be copied on the client device or is everything taken from the server?

I'm planning on using Kodi with the Emby Add-on a Fire TV and various Android devices. If they all need to store the metadata locally too i'll be reaching a point where the storage get's full very soon.

Looking forward to your answers, maybe this is a dumb question after all. ;)

Thanks and best,
s3th

Angelblue05

We insert the metadata found on your server in the kodi database. Poster and fanart are usually the only content cached locally. The rest is up to Kodi. It also highly depends on the amount of content found on your server. We do keep your cache clean by deleting old artwork from Kodi cache, if you replace them in emby. I see my thumbnail folder (artwork cache) reach about 500MB to 1GB per kodi profile.

Edited by Angelblue05

s3thg3ck9

We insert the metadata found on your server in the kodi database. Poster and fanart are usually the only content cached locally. The rest is up to Kodi. It also highly depends on the amount of content found on your server. We do keep your cache clean by deleting old artwork from Kodi cache, if you replace them in emby. I see my thumbnail folder (artwork cache) reach about 500MB to 1GB per kodi profile.

I'll plan on setting up from scratch. So the Emby Scrapper will collect all necessary metadata (covers, fanart, thumbnails...) and copy them them to the local Kodi DBs? Is it sounds to me I will encounter the exact problems with messing up my internal storages on the android devides. :(

xnappo

Really not much that can be done there - any application like this is going to have to cache data and images locally, or it will be slow as molasses. 

cgrey000

Hi guys,

I'm just trying to decide between an Emby or Plex setup on the server side.

There is one big question which will be crucial for my descission:

When using the Emby Add-on for Kodi will the metadata be copied on the client device or is everything taken from the server?

I'm planning on using Kodi with the Emby Add-on a Fire TV and various Android devices. If they all need to store the metadata locally too i'll be reaching a point where the storage get's full very soon.

Looking forward to your answers, maybe this is a dumb question after all. ;)

Thanks and best,

s3th

Generally speaking, if you choose android devices that support external storage (FireTV, Nexus Player), Kodi can be configured to redirect it's thumbnail cache to an external drive/stick. I've got two FireTV boxes with Kodi configured this way, and have not run in to storage issues with them - generally between 1-2Gb free space on them. For reference, I have around 600 movies and 150 TV shows in my library, and enable "extrafanart" (multiple backdops, etc).

My FireTV sticks, which I obviously can't add external storage to, do tend to get close to full (a few hundred MB free), and agree, aren't well suited to caching images for large libraries.

Edited by cgrey000
  • Like 1

xnappo

I don't know how to do it on Android, but possibly you could set up a symlink to point userdata to a network drive...  Possibly a really bad idea :D

s3thg3ck9

Thanks guys. I'll be investigating if I get a storage problem.

I guess swapping Kodis cache to a SMB share will even be too slow.

Maybe i will check it out with a large USB stick.