OT: Server needs new CPU. How to determine socket??

chef

I just bought a new mother board for my new server chassis

But I am lost now trying to figure out what CPU I am supposed to buy...

The motherboard says any Intel i-series chip a with socket 1150.

When I look on amazon or newegg There seems to be many choices which don't seem to fall in to a socket type of 1150.

Most of these CPU types have 1151, is that the same thing?

When I google 5th Generation Intel i7 cpu's it return a bunch of info but doesn't tell me what socket type.

How to you determine the socket type of the cpu from the description of the cpu?

Thanks in advance for any help understanding. Super expensive and I just want to make sure I get what I need.

Ben

Edited by chef

Logos302

wikipedia had the info that you seek I belvie  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1150.  or this http://www.ncix.com/category/amd-intel-cpu-lga1150-0b-106-1631.htm ( relise that may not be were you are from but it a list of all the lga 1150 cpu's they sell)  Both should give you an understanding of what to look for.   they should say something along the lines of LGA1150 on the box or description.  

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

I just bought a new mother board for my new server chassis

But I am lost now trying to figure out what CPU I am supposed to buy...

The motherboard says any Intel i-series chip a with socket 1150.

When I look on amazon or newegg There seems to be many choices which don't seem to fall in to a socket type of 1150.

Most of these CPU types have 1151, is that the same thing?

When I google 5th Generation Intel i7 cpu's it return a bunch of info but doesn't tell me what socket type.

How to you determine the socket type of the cpu from the description of the cpu?

Thanks in advance for any help understanding. Super expensive and I just want to make sure I get what I need.

Ben

Hey Chef, you should have a model number, physically on the motherboard somewhere.  What is it. Then go to the manufacturers website and see what it says.

If you have a motherboard that supports 1150 then you need to buy intel cpu with this socket.  Not anything else mate.

• Like 1

aspdend

Chef, the 1150 is a socket for an intel Haswell chip generally - make sure you get the right i3, i5, i7, xeon etc and you will be good to go

DrWatson

Chef go here

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/CPU_mega_page.html

click on reset filters

put intel in first box

select lga1150 in second box 

desktop in 3rd box

Then double click on the cpu mark to sort descending on the bench mark score you will end up with something like >

5649be0754237_lga1150.jpg

You can click on the little plus sign to get more info about the cpu.

• Like 1