Cinema Mode

Mopar_Mudder
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

• Solution

When MB Intros is installed it completely replaces the cinema mode function and all configuration should be done with the plugin. That's obviously not intuitive and that's one of the reasons why we're not continuing development on the plugin anymore.

• Like 1

Mopar_Mudder

I just wanted to try it out. But I don't want to uninstall MB Intros because it is not in the plugin catalog any more. Got to have MB Intros, it's just better.

When MB Intros is installed it completely replaces the cinema mode function and all configuration should be done with the plugin. That's obviously not intuitive and that's one of the reasons why we're not continuing development on the plugin anymore.

What doesn't make sense though is to not have the same or close to the same options in cinema mode. A lot of us got used to mb intros options and I think everyone would agree that it's better than cinema mode. At the cinema you get to see their custonm intro as well as dts or Dolby intros. This is not possible in cinema mode and as a result doesn't allow us to replicate the cinema experience. Mb intros is actually what made me switch over from mediaportal. I love Emby , but the last year has being very frustrating. No iOS app, theatre not progressing , the "inherit" fiasco, collections not working. As a result the experience is being diluted and time consuming. Thinking of giving mediaportal another go.

• Like 1

GrotShot

Couldn't agree more. My setup was perfect a year ago but through ongoing server updates, it has lost functionality, GUI stability and required maintenance regularly to try and keep the system looking as I want.

We do seem to be going through a period of change because we're told it's better for us rather than it's what the end users require or request.

If there is a community member willing to take ownership over the advanced intros plugin (including helping and supporting users), then there's no reason it couldn't be resurrected. That is basically the challenge that we're facing. As you guys ask for more and more new things, sometimes we have to re-evaluate the features that are not used by quite as many people and look at whether or not we have enough capacity to manage them.

• Like 1

Vidman

Do you have any idea of how popular cinema mode is? Seems that it is not complete enough for users that actually want to use it here, so is it actually popular?

In this case though we're not asking for anything new , it was already part of the experience but dropped like a hot potato for an inferior server inclusion. Like other users I have to agree - a year ago it was as smooth as chocolate, but now I come up against constant problems and issues after updates. The latest has led to slow screen population of posters. Want to do a clean install (again!!) but can't now as I'll loose mb intros as I have it, which is how a cinema experience looks. If I revert to cinema mode, I loose that feeling. All that's needed is to get rid of random custon intros and let the user choose the order and amount. I think you can see it's an issue for a lot of users even the likes of xzeener.

Mopar_Mudder

If there is a community member willing to take ownership over the advanced intros plugin (including helping and supporting users), then there's no reason it couldn't be resurrected. That is basically the challenge that we're facing. As you guys ask for more and more new things, sometimes we have to re-evaluate the features that are not used by quite as many people and look at whether or not we have enough capacity to manage them.

I wish that I had the smarts to do this. Maybe I do, never tried to look into what it takes.

Deathsquirrel

Do you have any idea of how popular cinema mode is? Seems that it is not complete enough for users that actually want to use it here, so is it actually popular?

Apparently not popular enough for a developer to take on the project.

Please go to features request forum and add your support to have cinema mode enhanced on a thread I have started. Can the plugin code be copied over? Surely it's not a huge issue to get this done

Actually the main issue isn't the work of getting it in, it's the amount of ongoing support that would be required afterwards. the configuration is very complicated for the average user. Also for codec intros, you can't just check the box and have intros start playing, you have to bring your own intros too. No matter how much we spell that out in the UI, people are going to get tripped up on it and keep asking about it. So by taking on these features, I am signing myself up for a lot more work. That is why instead of simply requesting "everything", let's look at one thing at a time. Let's start with one easy thing we could give you that everyone will understand. Then go from there.

So then can you just expand custom intro to allow specific intros with an ability to choose the order in which they play aswell as amount.

Random is useless - have had the same intro play twice - At least with specific you can customise the start of the cinema experience.

I cant see how this change is gonna complicate things for any user. You just add the intros you want - at least this way you can add DTS,

Dolby and custom designed intros and have them all play. Random is just plain useless.

Edited by djlf

Spaceboy

So then can you just expand custom intro to allow specific intros with an ability to choose the order in which they play aswell as amount.

Random is useless - have had the same intro play twice - At least with specific you can customise the start of the cinema experience.

This is precisely what I asked for, I want

My intro 1

A trailer from the trailer plugin

My intro 2

A trailer from my library

My intro 3

The movie

Mopar_Mudder

I cant see how this change is gonna complicate things for any user. You just add the intros you want - at least this way you can add DTS,

Dolby and custom designed intros and have them all play. Random is just plain useless.

Actually I need random. I have multiple DTS and Dolby intros so it needs to play one of them randomly, don't want to play the same one all the time, that gets boring.

My set-up for anyone interested.

1) My Opening Intro (random from specified folder)

2) Two trailers from trailers plug in

3) From my collection Intro (random from specified folder)

4) One trailer from my collection

5) Audio Intro (random file from either DTS or Dolby folder)

6) My Intro based on Aspect ratio (plays specific file based on ratio)

The original MB Intros would do all of this. The current (well I guess it is gone now) MB Intros will do 1-4 but not 5&6

Cinema mode don't know, can't use it.

Actually I need random. I have multiple DTS and Dolby intros so it needs to play one of them randomly, don't want to play the same one all the time, that gets boring.

My set-up for anyone interested.

1) My Opening Intro (random from specified folder)

2) Two trailers from trailers plug in

3) From my collection Intro (random from specified folder)

4) One trailer from my collection

5) Audio Intro (random file from either DTS or Dolby folder)

6) My Intro based on Aspect ratio (plays specific file based on ratio)

The original MB Intros would do all of this. The current (well I guess it is gone now) MB Intros will do 1-4 but not 5&6

Cinema mode don't know, can't use it.

Random in MB Intros is one thing. In Cinema mode its another ie Useless.

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

Would hope the DEV's would give us some kind of compromise on this - after all "compromise is the art of living"  : )

They offered a compromise.  Post individual feature requests on the FR forum where other users can express support for those features, or not, as they wish.  The dev team can then measure the community desire for that feature and balance it against other requested changes.

Xzener

Actually the main issue isn't the work of getting it in, it's the amount of ongoing support that would be required afterwards. the configuration is very complicated for the average user. Also for codec intros, you can't just check the box and have intros start playing, you have to bring your own intros too. No matter how much we spell that out in the UI, people are going to get tripped up on it and keep asking about it. So by taking on these features, I am signing myself up for a lot more work. That is why instead of simply requesting "everything", let's look at one thing at a time. Let's start with one easy thing we could give you that everyone will understand. Then go from there.

Luke, I understand where some people get confused or don't read directions for setting things up. Which is where a plugin comes into play. I won't DL any plugins unless I read and understand what is required to use said app. Which is probably why I can count my plugins on one hand. Many plugins in the catalog are severely vague on the details. If MBIntros details in the plugin catalog was short and to the point "Add your own custom intros and play trailers before a movie", how is that confusing for people?? Cinema Mode is great, basic, but does what it's been designed to do... Can't we have a plugin which bypasses CM and gives the user MUCH more advanced options for intro playback?? Or do you want us to be specific as to what new options we would like to see added to CM as feature requests??

Edited by Xzener

Mopar_Mudder

Random in MB Intros is one thing. In Cinema mode its another ie Useless.

I get I would like a better explanation of why it is useless? If it is good in MB Intro why not in Cinema mode, Cinema is replacing Intros you know. Just because you do not need a feature does not make it useless.