• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#41 BigBri41 OFFLINE  

BigBri41

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 04:34 PM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:59 AM

Is your query string work around as simple as changing a few lines of code? If so, could users download the emby Roku code branch and just change it temporarily, then deploy the channel in debug mode on the Roku as a temporary work around?

#42 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 124353 posts
  • Local time: 06:34 PM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:28 AM

No it's on the server. In dev I've eliminated one query string param that was no longer needed rather than eliminating the entire query string. that seems to have raised the threshold a little higher, but not solved it obviously.

#43 QwEmby OFFLINE  

QwEmby

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Local time: 03:34 PM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:23 PM

Exact same behavior I'm seeing on both Rokus.

Me, too. What's the word on the fix for this? I may have to look for another media server application. Does anyone have an update?

Edited by white505, 26 November 2015 - 11:54 AM.

• bwaldron likes this

#44 billy_ray OFFLINE  

billy_ray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • Local time: 05:34 PM

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:36 PM

Any update on this? My remote Roku users are reporting the same issue.

#45 Murf OFFLINE  

Murf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 12:11 AM

Also having issue with Roku 3 restarting version 7 build 9021 when playing an avi file, it is over 2 hours.  Unsure about transcoding? No transcoding log at time of attempted playback.

Server log attached (looks like it is @ 2015-11-26 22:00:12.7010 timestamp.)

Attached Files

Edited by Murf, 27 November 2015 - 12:11 AM.

#46 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 13828 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 27 November 2015 - 03:16 AM

As Luke stated above, the dev release does adjust the threshold a little higher, but looks like about 2h10m is the limit right now.

Version 3.0.5808.18888

#47 legallink OFFLINE  

legallink

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 1166 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 09:43 PM

This does not appear to be something roku is going to address. I haven't seen any discussion from roku on this and all the other apps that were broken appear to have been fixed on mine.

#48 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 3966 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:17 PM

Id expect with a flood of devices (notably black friday edition roku se) and other things (its holiday in the us, thankgiving) that they arent focused on software updates and roll outs yet. When the holidays, and new device registrations slow down they might have time to start addressing the problem. I dont expect them to make an official announcement about a defect of this kind, just a silent fix. Then a hopeful nobody noticed wink and nod.

Edited by speechles, 27 November 2015 - 10:19 PM.

• Happy2Play likes this

#49 Polygon OFFLINE  

Polygon

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:32 AM

I wish I hadn't posted another thread before seeing this. I'm having this same issue. Glad to know it's not a problem with my files. I guess we have to wait for Roku to work this out. I also have the MB Media Browser app installed on the Roku and playing the same movies causes the app to crash but instead of rebooting the Roku it simply goes back to the home screen.

#50 QwEmby OFFLINE  

QwEmby

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 05:00 PM

Why are we expecting Roku to fix this? Why isn't MediaBrowser/Emby correcting this? I'm seriously considering finding another media server. This is B.S.

#51 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 3966 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 05:11 PM

White505, get a life. Read back through threads and see why. It doesnt need to be explained a thousand times. If emby server could fix it, it wouldve. Since it cannot without rokus cooperation it is expected they will. To put it quite blunty, "go use another server then and quit yer bitchin'". Sorry we can't make miracles happen. Anybody have a magic lamp with a genie and some wishes left?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  • Crooze and Polygon like this

#52 Polygon OFFLINE  

Polygon

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 05:23 PM

Why are we expecting Roku to fix this? Why isn't MediaBrowser/Emby correcting this? I'm seriously considering finding another media server. This is B.S.

Because, had you actually read through the thread you'd realize that it was found the most recent update Roku sent out is the issue. Not the Emby app, not the serve app, not your files.

Edited by Polygon, 28 November 2015 - 05:41 PM.

#53 legallink OFFLINE  

legallink

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 1166 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 05:31 PM

White505, get a life. Read back through threads and see why. It doesnt need to be explained a thousand times. If emby server could fix it, it wouldve. Since it cannot without rokus cooperation it is expected they will. To put it quite blunty, "go use another server then and quit yer bitchin'". Sorry we can't make miracles happen. Anybody have a magic lamp with a genie and some wishes left?

I'm going to disagree with this statement.  Even though Roku broke it, I don't know that Roku will fix it, and it appears that other apps that were broken with the update have started to fix themselves.  For instance, Netflix was broken from the update, and it has since updated its app to address the issue.  Plex also had this issue and I believe they will/have made changes to address the issue.

That being said, I"m not going anywhere.  It's a great product and in due time there will be a solution.

Edited by legallink, 28 November 2015 - 05:31 PM.

• bwaldron likes this

#54 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 3966 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 05:54 PM

Here is ESPN for example, same issue.

http://forums.roku.c...hp?f=28&t=90436

The roku admins, forward this to roku engineers who work with the channel developer to find the problem. Luke will need to open a dialogue with roku in this manner to resolve the problem. Repeatedly throwing assumptions around isnt solving anything. Using the roku forums, and their engineering team to discuss solutions is required.

@Luke have you made contact with roku regarding this issue?

#55 QwEmby OFFLINE  

QwEmby

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:18 PM

Edited due to profanity. Please keep it civil, and polite, and we'll be happy to address your concerns. 

#56 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 3966 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:52 PM

Work here? Where is here? What exactly are you asking? Its obvious what is wrong. Been stated many times. You are whining and threatening to use another type of platform. Okay, then do it. Sure. Its not rational to beat a dead horse. You are approaching the forum equivalent by asking the same question in a thread with the same question. The best friend here is time. Not only do I contribute to the roku side of the project which could be construed as working here as youve put it I also am a customer. I too want this fixed. Your mouth (or in this case text) is your enemy here. Your point is taken as a child who cries when a toy is taken away. Instead, realize nothing changed on our end but the roku firmware has caused this. Once you realize that you stop placing blame, and start being patient. The cursing and foul mouth only serve you in a harsh light and make you look bad. I realize its bullshit. The damn roku should just work. Wtf!! And screaming.. But bro, we didnt do it. Just chill.. Relax.. It will soon be okay. We can all get a!ong with a little patience and friendliness. No need to be angry. Its just a silly box that streams stuff. Spend time with your family. Its the holidays, be merry. No need to be an ass. Merry christmas. :)

#57 Novalak OFFLINE  

Novalak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Local time: 11:34 PM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:17 AM

I think it's actually due to the size of the HLS manifest. A longer video just makes it more likely to happen. For example, our segment lengths were listed with six decimals, e.g. 3.000000. Yesterday I removed two which made the manifest size a little smaller and that fixed it for a movie that was right about two hours, but it's still a problem for others.

All of the entries in the manifest have long query strings. If i remove the query strings, the Roku video player will actually re-add them back automatically based on the manifest query strings, which is really not a good thing and unlike other HLS players. This makes the manifest a lot smaller and resolves the issue, but I can't put out a release with this change because as soon as they fix it, then that release would be broken and another emergency update would be needed. So we might just have to give it a little more time.

So to confirm - are we staying that we are going to sit this out and see if roku fix it. What if they don't? What if they decide in 6 months time to fix it? What if they don't know about it?

#58 legallink OFFLINE  

legallink

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 1166 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:59 PM

So to confirm - are we staying that we are going to sit this out and see if roku fix it. What if they don't? What if they decide in 6 months time to fix it? What if they don't know about it?

Most of the statements are from is plebeians. That being said, Luke has posted some small steps in solving the issue in the dev forums. Clearly they are working on a solution.

#59 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 3966 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 03:10 PM

Indeed, legallink stop it then. No need to continue repeating what is already known. All this does is cause animosity. Stop. Just stop posting and grow some patience. You think roku isnt aware? There are several issues in the new firmware. Not just the one affecting emby. Roku are interested in fixing all problems, not just one issue. Ive spoken already to roku about this. The same problem affects espn streams, and others. Stop pontificating and making "what if" scenarios and just wait and be patient. You cannot rush this. We dont have control of how firmware updates are pushed. Jeez.

Edited by speechles, 29 November 2015 - 03:11 PM.

• bwaldron likes this

#60 Novalak OFFLINE  

Novalak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Local time: 11:34 PM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:22 PM

Indeed, legallink stop it then. No need to continue repeating what is already known. All this does is cause animosity. Stop. Just stop posting and grow some patience. You think roku isnt aware? There are several issues in the new firmware. Not just the one affecting emby. Roku are interested in fixing all problems, not just one issue. Ive spoken already to roku about this. The same problem affects espn streams, and others. Stop pontificating and making "what if" scenarios and just wait and be patient. You cannot rush this. We dont have control of how firmware updates are pushed. Jeez.

This was obviously aimed at me. I wasn't attacking anyone, I simply asked some questions and posed a thought. 

People like me depend on the roku application working with emby. Without it we simply cannot watch a movie in my house with my setup

I asked if they knew about it - I didnt say they didnt know about it

Other applications e.g Netflix, Plex etc have fixed on their side so their users can continue using the system. You propose to wait it out

Have they said they will fix it? Do we have an estimate? Is it possible to implement a fix which will work in both scenarios?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users