Roku Reboots When Starting Playback

y2kse

Within the last few days days, attempts to play most media on my Roku 2 units result in the unit rebooting.  All these media worked before a few days ago.  The units will show the "retrieving..." screen for a moment before rebooting.  The Rokus are reporting an update was applied a couple days ago, shows 7.0 build 9021 as the operating system.  I reset one Roku and reloaded Emby channel with default settings with no change in behavior.

Server log http://pastebin.com/kuwt6fHj

Emby dev channel log http://pastebin.com/E0juY0H6

I have transcoding logging enabled, but there is no log file created.  I am able to play an example file in Chrome on my Windows 10 PC, and a transcoding log is created when I do so.

Edited by y2kse

Played with it a bit more. No issues with direct play (used MKV files). Problem appears during transcoding. In fact, there are no transcoding log files created by Emby server. Attaching log from server. I also used telnet to get a log from Roku (Attached). 

Same behavior from official store app, beta app and Using latest zip from Source Code

server-63583109976.txt

roku dev log.txt

I'm able to play with OS7 with transcoding. Is it possible the failure is actually related to cinema mode? I did see a similar problem there, usually due to a bad trailer url and the app not recovering from the playback failure.

I can also play everything just fine on os7 build 9021. All three directplay, directstream and transcode all just fine.

Are you perhaps running out of hard drive space? Ive had this happen where no transcoding log is created, playing something reboots my roku and noticed no hard drive space left on the server drive.

If not, a few questions. Does using this app ( https://my.roku.com/account/add?channel=EmbyBlueNeon ) exhibit the same problem? Is your roku wired ethernet or wi-fi?

Edited by speechles

Cinema Mode is disabled and the server has of ~185 GB free space.  Transcoding works when viewing media from a PC.  Only the Roku's seem to be failing, the failure seems to coincide with the os7 update.  

MediaInfo of private DVD rips:

doesn't work: http://pastebin.com/HiBbKWXc

works: http://pastebin.com/DZw2QzKH

MediaInfo for broadcast TV rips from my Tivo:

doesn't work: http://pastebin.com/sa1gFTbH

does work: http://pastebin.com/cst70fJM

All of these files worked last week.

P.S. My Roku's are hard-wired with Powerline adapters.

P.P.S. Same behavior with EmbyBlueNeon.

Edited by y2kse

Happy2Play

Just updated my Roku 3 and it crashed on the first video trying to transcode, but after it restarted everything played fine.

Just updated my Roku 3 and it crashed on the first video trying to transcode, but after it restarted everything played fine.

Ironically i had the exact same experience. First video crashed after the upgrade. I didn't mention it because as much as I try I cannot get it to happen again.

TKEBH964

I am having this same issue.  Been using Emby with Roku since the launch of the app with no issues, now most of my mkv files will not play.  90% of my media is in mkv file, straight rip from either blu ray or DVD.  Issue happens with both blu ray and DVD rips.  Everything works fine on android and web apps.  File starts to play, Roku reboots.  I have 2 Roku 3's, and it happens on both of them.

kacole917

I have the exact same problem, started after the last Emby update but only affects my Roku 3 boxes, I have 2 and both reboot. Roku is up to date. Seems like a Emby bug but can play movies not using roku.

I have the exact same problem, started after the last Emby update but only affects my Roku 3 boxes, I have 2 and both reboot. Roku is up to date. Seems like a Emby bug but can play movies not using roku.

do you know if this happens when transcoding, direct playing, or both? or do you not know how to determine that?

TKEBH964

Luke,  what is the best way to determine if it is transcoding?  I will say that it is both of my Roku 3 boxes, one is hard wired, the other is wi-fi.

@@TKEBH964 when does it reset? Immediately? If so, it is hard to tell. Is there a transcode log generated on the server for it? If so, it is transcoding. The most sure fire way to tell is use the emby blue neon app ( http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24151-theme-blue-neon-night/ ). This app allows additional features. One of these is forcing a play method. Using this you can determine which it is.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

TKEBH964

speechles, I added the blue neon app to my channel list.  I'll check tonight after the kids go to bed.  Everytime (on both Rokus) it reacts the same.  I launch the movie, it shows that it is loading, status bar goes up about 1/8 of the way, Roku reboots.  The whole process up until it reboots is about 10 seconds.

I launch the movie, it shows that it is loading, status bar goes up about 1/8 of the way, Roku reboots.  The whole process up until it reboots is about 10 seconds.

Exact same behavior I'm seeing on both Rokus.

Edited by y2kse

KinkyCyborg

I launch the movie, it shows that it is loading, status bar goes up about 1/8 of the way, Roku reboots.  The whole process up until it reboots is about 10 seconds.

I am having the exact same problem although for me the issue seems to be currently confined to .avi files. .mkv files play back with no issues

Here is my most recent server log file.

Thank you.

attachicon.gifLog.txt

At

2015-11-20 21:39:09.2094

ffmpeg started. can you provide that transcoding log? thanks.

KinkyCyborg

Sorry, I can't find that log either within the Help tab of the server or in the folder in \AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\logs

The closest transcoding log I have is for 9:43 pm. That would make sense because the log you asked for is likely for the .avi that we tried to watch first and it failed and at 9:43 we started watching a different movie, this time an .mkv file which ran without a hitch.

Does the server only retain so many logs at any one time?

Edited by KinkyCyborg

TolkienBard

My brother started having this same issue early yesterday. I'm going back through my logs now, and the movies that were causing the issue do not seem to even be getting deep enough to create a transcode log. I'll ask him to try a few more titles and see about getting the logs from the Roku side so we can figure out where the specific issue is. We have been able to stream some older titles to the Roku still with no issue, and the titles that caused the Roku crash have since been played on both the Windows app and the Samsung one.

His problem absolutely did not start until after the Roku OS upgrade, we have that much of the timeline isolated.

I am certain it's due to the OS upgrade. If you look at the roku forums there are a lot of issues being reported in regards to playback, and i saw someone report the same issue was happening with pluto tv and espn. 

having said that, i am doing testing to see if i can find some type of temporary workaround until they fix it.

• Like 1