New IOS app - poor playback - MKV files

jordy
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Hi Luke, Just installed the new IOS app on my wifes iPad Air. test playing a few files show that it is having a problem playing back MKV files. The server WebUI shows that they are transcoding at 500kbps and this produces a very blocky and basically un-watchable experience on the iPad. MP4 files playback better but not as good as I expected given the small screen of the iPad.

EDIT: Correction, everything is transcoding at 500kbps h264/aac

Is there a way to increase the transcoding rate or something else I can look at .

Thanks

Edited by jordy

OK. so I found out that the Internet Streaming Bitrate setting also relates to the transcoding bitrate. The streaming bitrate was set to 0.5Mbps (500kbps). On a whim I changed it to 1.5Mbps and then played one of the aforementioned MKV files and it played perfectly WebUI shows transcoding at 1.5Mbps h264/aac in ts format.

EDIT: this is all over my local network - no internet or outside transmission involved.

Is it expected that the Streaming Bitrate setting also affects the Transcoding Rate?

Edited by jordy

• Solution

Yes because those two values are one and the same. For example, you can't transcode at 10mbps and then stream at 1mbps. That server side setting should only come into effect when you're away from home, but this can be finicky with mobile devices where sometimes you might be in the house but the device is still on it's mobile connection. Also if you're running the dev server then the in-network detection is also currently a little out of whack while ipv6 support is being introduced.

• Like 1

Thanks Luke. The iPad is Wifi Only and I am running the Dev Server. Also at this point I don't use any external connections as I'm upload rate and cap limited.

Now I've got this sorted and a clear picture to view, it's great.

Thanks