Incredibly disappointed

CharlesC

CharlesC

I have to say that I am incredibly disappointed with this new iOS app. I purchased the original MediaBrowser iOS app the day it was released, loved it, still use it in fact, and have learnt to tolerate the unfixed bugs. I was frustrated that support had ended and that a "new" app was being developed, but as it was going to support mobile sync (something that I really want) I have been waiting for it all year.

Over the last six weeks have checked this section every day looking for news on when the app was going to be released.  I was very careful not to post chasing up on the app's release knowing full well the development team were working hard and that the Apple App review processes was a slow one.

Then last night (my time) it was released; downloaded it and wanted to test it, but could not as I didn't yet have an Emby Premiere account for playback. That's ok, I'd sign up for one in the morning, the only reason I hadn't before was that the previous iOS app lacked mobile sync support.

Fast forward to now - just about to sign up to Premiere - but wait ... the new iOS app DOES NOT SUPPORT mobile sync! To quote Luke :

We pulled sync at the last minute to get it released. 

Do we have a time-scale for when mobile sync is coming to iOS ? This has now become a must have feature for me and without a firm date I will have to jump ship to Plex.

Longrifle

if I were you, I would use the app and just wait for sync to be added, I can tell you that when testing sync, it worked pretty good.

CharlesC

if I were you, I would use the app and just wait for sync to be added, I can tell you that when testing sync, it worked pretty good.

But that is the point, I can't test it without the Emby Premiere account, and while it is worth paying $5 pcm for mobile sync I don't see the value just to test an app that gives me nothing over the old one.

CharlesC

60898735.jpg

I would sincerely like to thank Redshirt for his thoughtful and inspiring contribution; it did, without word of a lie, convince me to take out a $5 pcm account. Now, guess what ! I do now have iOS app that works properly and with mobile sync. Unfortunately for emby, it was with Plex and the only downside was it took me all of 15 mins to set up the server and get it working across all my devices.

Redshirt

Don't try and put the blame on me. You'd clearly already made up your mind, you just wanted attention. 

raven-au

I would sincerely like to thank Redshirt for his thoughtful and inspiring contribution; it did, without word of a lie, convince me to take out a $5 pcm account. Now, guess what ! I do now have iOS app that works properly and with mobile sync. Unfortunately for emby, it was with Plex and the only downside was it took me all of 15 mins to set up the server and get it working across all my devices.

Yes, they seem to have fixed the sync problems that went unresolved for months.

But sadly for me they barely acknowledge the existence of Android TV and it shows in their Android TV app.

Android TV and sync are the two must have features for me nowadays.

What might be surprising is that the Emby Android TV app can't play about half of my shows without annoying fiddling (I can't disable libVLC because the transcoding is too heavy a load for my NAS but would work) but it is still less annoying to me than the Plex Android TV app.

Ian

fantaxp7

It's unfortunate that it was removed at the last second. Do you think perhaps something was wrong with it? Maybe they released it would not performed advertised? Would you rather have it and it not work as it should?

Just be a little more patient.

legallink

Sync was tricky while testing but I think the major thing was finalizing sync and then waiting another month to have apple review the app.