Transcoding bitrate

ravenj

Hello,

I'm trying to set a maximum bitrate for live tv using mediaportal plugin but the streaming os always direct. Is it possible to lower the bitrate on android's app or do I have to change the profile directly on the server's plugin?

Also I can't play live tv on android using the internal player. I have to use mxplayer. What can be wrong? With windows app there's no problem.

Thank you.

pünktchen

You can force transcoding by some settings at different places.

But before we go deeper, about what Android app are you talking? Emby for Android or Emby for Android TV?

Are you trying to stream at home at you local network or remotely?

Edit: My bad! If you can use an external player, it's the normal Android app.

Edited by pünktchen

pünktchen

Hello,

I'm trying to set a maximum bitrate for live tv using mediaportal plugin but the streaming os always direct. Is it possible to lower the bitrate on android's app or do I have to change the profile directly on the server's plugin?

Also I can't play live tv on android using the internal player. I have to use mxplayer. What can be wrong? With windows app there's no problem.

Thank you.

In the left hamburger menu of the Android app -> settings -> playback settings, you can set a global bitrate limit (affects also movies). 1080p-6mbps should force transcoding if you are talking about full hd channels.

But normally all channels with a resolution greater than 720p should force a transcode by default.

Or is "force direct play" checked in your MediaPortal plugin settings?

The apps internal vlc player is better than Androids stock player, but lightyears away from mxplayer.

It has big problems with interlaced hd content.

You're right. I'm using normal Android App.

I'm having problems streaming within and outside my local network. The internal player never works with live tv and I have to use mxplayer.

I have a provider card associated with my tuners. When I try to view an encrypted channel, no matter the app, i get no stream.

pünktchen

For outside your network you can set the bitrate limit within Embys transcoding settings.

For your streaming problems, do me a favour and set "mediainfo delay" in the MediaPortal plugin settings to 5000.

Does it help?

Hello,

Sorry for the delay but I discovered a problem with mediaportal configuration and had to solve it.

I have done further testing and this are the results:

Android app:

-Internal player doesn't work for me. Have to use external mxplayer.

-Changing Emby's transcoding settings the results is the same (or I can't tell the difference). Mx player only reports the display size and, no matter the setting, the video size is the same.

-Some of the Streaming problems are probably related to my cardreader. Your tip may help. I've done some tweaking and seemed to improve. Lets see.

Emby theater

-Internal player works

-Sometimes, after hitting stop, get an error message.

Thank you for your patience.

pünktchen

Hello,

Sorry for the delay but I discovered a problem with mediaportal configuration and had to solve it.

I have done further testing and this are the results:

Android app:

-Internal player doesn't work for me. Have to use external mxplayer.

-Changing Emby's transcoding settings the results is the same (or I can't tell the difference). Mx player only reports the display size and, no matter the setting, the video size is the same.

-Some of the Streaming problems are probably related to my cardreader. Your tip may help. I've done some tweaking and seemed to improve. Lets see.

Emby theater

-Internal player works

-Sometimes, after hitting stop, get an error message.

Thank you for your patience.

I've never tested it with Emby theater, but i've changed how a stream close is handled in the plugin.

I've also added a plugin setting to force transcode. Probably you have to clear your browser cache to see the setting.