Transcoding change?

raven-au

raven-au

Hi all,

I have Emby server version 3.0.5781.1 on a QNAP NAS.

It appears there has been some sort of change to the transcoding on Emby server.

When Emby server does transcode it will still transcode both video and audio (according to what I see in the ffmpeg command line) when it should only need to transcode the audio. At least I think that is the case for h264 and the NP.

But that's not new and isn't what I'm here to ask about.

When I replaced my NAS recently I did some checking and found that the new NAS was a little better than my old one but still struggled with higher bit rate movies I have (actually not that high, only about 14 mbps). I was seeing 350 - 380% of a possible 400%, which is essentially pegging the CPU(s) of the quad core, when playing these 1080p movies. I was also seeing quite high CPU usage for 720p content.

But last night on my NP I noticed that the Emby client was transcoding (settings changed some how) and the CPU load was low, less than a third and closer to a quarter of what I expect from these shows. I did some more testing and found the load to be low on several other shows that should have pegged the CPU(s).

Since the original check I did I have upgraded the NAS firmware, minor update to the QNAP 4.2 release.

I have also updated Emby server but can't remember from which version.

It's also possible the utilities are reporting differently but I would have expected problems in playback with at least some of the shows if that was the case and there wasn't any.

The question is, are there any changes in Emby server that might have made such a large difference?

Ian

raven-au

It's also possible the utilities are reporting differently but I would have expected problems in playback with at least some of the shows if that was the case and there wasn't any.

Opps, false alarm, so the order of directories in my PATH changed, the top utility was displaying percentage as a real percent of all CPUs.

Didn't think I could be so lucky!