New iOS App Purchase

Wilky13

megamacx

Thanks, I will look into it.

Hi Luke,

Have you had a chance to review this? Any updates? I noticed v1.0.4 is out now. I am still unable to use the app beyond the 1 minute play trial.

Thanks!

Hi Luke,

Have you had a chance to review this? Any updates? I noticed v1.0.4 is out now. I am still unable to use the app beyond the 1 minute play trial.

Thanks!

Apologies for this not being included. I am waiting on an update from a component we're using for the iap, in regards to functioning after disabling app store services.

• 3 weeks later...
megamacx

Apologies for this not being included. I am waiting on an update from a component we're using for the iap, in regards to functioning after disabling app store services.

Hi Luke,

Have you gotten an update about this component. I tried v1.0.5 and I can't do playback with the AppStore disabled. Let me know.

Thanks!

megamacx

Hi Luke,

Have you gotten an update about this component. I tried v1.0.5 and I can't do playback with the AppStore disabled. Let me know.

Thanks!

Hello, I noticed the 1.0.6 update is out, but still the issue is present. Any news?

Hi, on this particular issue I do not have any news yet I'm afraid. I apologize but this one is a bit of a tricky one.

megamacx

Hi, on this particular issue I do not have any news yet I'm afraid. I apologize but this one is a bit of a tricky one.

Alright, thanks for the update. I will keep waiting.

• 1 month later...
megamacx

Hi Luke, I noticed today that version 1.1.0 is out. Have your had a chance to take a look at this issue. I am still unable to use the purchased app. Thanks!

Edited by megamacx

• 1 month later...
megamacx

Alright, thanks for the update. I will keep waiting.

Hello Luke, any signs of a light at the end of the tunnel? This is still not working for me since I have to disable the app store.

Thanks!

When the next version comes out probably next week it will cache information inside the app so you'll just need to go through the restore process with the app store enabled, then it will remember it.

Please note - up until now you've probably been assuming this is an Emby problem, but this is really expected behavior. We don't record any information about you or your purchase on our servers, so we rely solely on the app store being functional. If we can't validate with the app store then this is what happens. The caching technique that I'm mentioning is going to work in this specific case, but hypothetically in the future if we needed more up to date information from the app store, then the same thing is just going to happen again.

megamacx

Thanks for the reply Luke and I appreciate that something is being done to help make better my situation.

However I have to disagree with your explanation. I am also a programmer (have been for +15 years) and what I understand is that emby checks for licensing every time the application opens.

I don't have the details on how this is supposed to be done on iOS from the coding perspective, but definitely there shouldn't be a conflict of checking for in-app purchases and the user disabling the in-app purchases option and/or the app store. Otherwise, disabling these 2 things would cause issues on every single app that requires in-app purchases.

Of all the apps I have purchased (which I can count more than 100), emby is the only one that has shown this behavior.

Just think about this for a second.. You buy a game for your kids and purchase a pack with some levels, let's say angry birds (through in-app purchases). You then disable in-app purchases and the app store so your kids don't spend more money using your credit card. Then, when they are going to play with the game you purchased, the game doesn't work because your don't have the app store or the in-app purchases option enabled. Do you think that would make sense?

If you always need those modules to be enabled for the apps to properly function, why does Apple allow them to be disabled if that's going to cause something to break?

Based on that I understand from your post is that emby checks for these in-app purchases every time it starts. What should be happening in my opinion (and what I believe other developers do) is to store somewhere in a setting once the in-app purchase has been restored and every time the app starts check for that setting instead of checking directly against the app store. Either way, once the app has been purchased or the purchase had been restored, the "purchased" status is not going to change unless the user uninstalls the app.

Let me know if that makes sense or if there's something I am missing.

Thank you!

Most apps that do that have a sign in and then they store that info in the cloud attached to that login. We don't do that. And yes short term caching is fine, but it for some reason in future releases we needed more up to date info, then it's just going to force you to re-enable the app store in order to pull it down.

megamacx

Most apps have to store that information without a sign in or an account.

I am a privacy freak and besides the app store (which I have no way around), Netflix and "Skype for Business" which is a business app I use to connect to my company's instant messaging service, I don't allow any other sign ins on my devices (especially when my kids can potentially have access to them).

That's the single most important reason why I stayed away from Plex (you either create an account to use their service or it doesn't work) and decided to go with emby.

Thanks for keeping the sign in process optional! I truly appreciate it.

If as you say, something makes me run through this in-app purchase process once in a while, I am fine with. That would be way better than what I have now.

One more thing, and this is just some feedback... On that 1-minute playback screen that comes up when you haven't restored the purchase, you guys should consider keeping the restore purchase button available at all times (and not only when the in app-purchases option is enabled). Unless you know this is the way it works, for most people would be hard to guess that the reason why they are not able to see the restore purchase option is because the in app-purchases option is turned off under the device's settings.

• 1 month later...
antgiant

When the next version comes out probably next week it will cache information inside the app so you'll just need to go through the restore process with the app store enabled, then it will remember it.

Please note - up until now you've probably been assuming this is an Emby problem, but this is really expected behavior. We don't record any information about you or your purchase on our servers, so we rely solely on the app store being functional. If we can't validate with the app store then this is what happens. The caching technique that I'm mentioning is going to work in this specific case, but hypothetically in the future if we needed more up to date information from the app store, then the same thing is just going to happen again.

I just want to chime in that I too am having this problem as of my purchase today. Also, I must agree with @@megamacx this is an Emby problem. The current behavior is in clear violation of Apple's Developer Guidelines for In App Purchases

After making the product available, your app needs to make a persistent record of the purchase. Your app uses that persistent record on launch to continue to make the product available.

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/NetworkingInternet/Conceptual/StoreKitGuide/Chapters/DeliverProduct.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40008267-CH5-SW5

They then go on to describe how to do that both with online accounts and without.

Finally, I would recommend updating the message that displays if In App Purchases are disabled. It basically implies that the only way to upgrade is to purchase a subscription which is not true. I had to search online to discover that I had an In App Purchase option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

megamacx

I just want to chime in that I too am having this problem as of my purchase today. Also, I must agree with @@megamacx this is an Emby problem. The current behavior is in clear violation of Apple's Developer Guidelines for In App Purchases

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/NetworkingInternet/Conceptual/StoreKitGuide/Chapters/DeliverProduct.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40008267-CH5-SW5

They then go on to describe how to do that both with online accounts and without.

Finally, I would recommend updating the message that displays if In App Purchases are disabled. It basically implies that the only way to upgrade is to purchase a subscription which is not true. I had to search online to discover that I had an In App Purchase option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks @@antgiant . I didn't take the time to check the Apple Developer reference, but I am glad you did. Honestly, I don't think this should take long to implement. This can easily be persisted through an encrypted setting or something to let the app know that the app purchase was already restored.

Luke, the ball is on your court...

Thanks!

We do make a persistent record of the purchase. We have been doing that for a couple months now.

antgiant

We do make a persistent record of the purchase. We have been doing that for a couple months now.

Then something is broken with it. I am on stock iOS (9.3.2) and Emby 1.1.9 (The latest). With IAP disabled, Emby is locked to 1 minute of playback and no option to upgrade. Enabling IAP immediately unlocks full playback.

megamacx

Then something is broken with it. I am on stock iOS (9.3.2) and Emby 1.1.9 (The latest). With IAP disabled, Emby is locked to 1 minute of playback and no option to upgrade. Enabling IAP immediately unlocks full playback.

Exactly the same behavior here...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It should work in the latest version of the app. You need to validate once with that other account and then it should be fine.

megamacx

It should work in the latest version of the app. You need to validate once with that other account and then it should be fine.

I am glad to inform that after 9 months of my first post about this issue, it seems to be now resolved. I tested it on all my devices.

Thanks Luke! Now I can start using this app.