Two recordings failed with Emby Live TV

jasonmcroy

jasonmcroy

Tonight I had two recordings fail at what appear to be the exact same time as the two file recordings are the same length. In addition, it looks like the server thinks it's still recording them even though the time of the show is over.

I am on version 3.0.5781.1. I have been using the core Emby DVR for the past week and at least 10 hours of recordings with no issues until tonight. 

I was recording Heroes Reborn and The Big Bang Theory both starting at 8:00pm EST, When I got home I noticed that neither of the two recordings had been moved to my TV Shows folder even though it's well after the recording time so Auto Organize should have moved them both by now.

I looked at both files using VLC player and both files are only 13 minutes long, so I know that they didn't complete the recording and they are both the same length so the service must have quit both at the same time. 

Usually after a show is done recording I can see on Emby Home (via the web client) that there are no active recordings. Both shows are still showing as an active recording right now even though there are no tuner lights lit on my Prime Tuner. If I try to move one of the files it says another process is still accessing it. 

I looked at the log file and I see that at about 8:12pm some weird messages start showing up (I don't know what any of that means) and I see a LOT of error messages in the log in general even before this happening. 

I do know that at about 8:12pm I checked in to see if these two shows were recording via the Emby Android app on my phone. You can see that in the log too. The device shows as SM-G386T1 in the log at the same time all of this is happening. I didn't use it to play any files, I literally just opened it up to view my ongoing recordings and then I backed out of it and went on about my way. Could this have messed something up with the recordings?

Here is my log:

server-63582883200.txt

I have another recording starting at 10:00pm so I will see if anything happens with that one as well. For fun I will open the Emby App on my phone again and see if the error happens again.

Let me know if you need anything else. I have no other back up recording ability and have only been using Emby. 

try not pointing auto-organize at your recorded tv folder and instead using the dedicated setting for that in the live tv area

jasonmcroy

I did what you suggested and stopped the Auto Organize feature from pointing at my Recording directory and used the feature in the Live TV section instead. 

My recording tonight started at 10:00pm (How To Get Away With Murder). I did try the same scenario I mentioned above and opened the Emby app on my phone and did the same actions. Nothing went wrong that time. The recording continued on just fine. That was at 10:15pm.

Then, at 10:45pm I opened the Emby App on my Samsung tablet and went to the EPG guide. As soon as I did that I saw the tuner light start blinking again and then the recording failed and the tuner light went off completely. I don't know if me opening the app had anything to do with it or it was just coincidence. The app in the log shows as SM-T530NU when I open it at the same time.

Here is my latest log:

server-63582883200.txt

there's no evidence in the log that it ever failed, which means it still has an open stream with the device. when the stream is closed something gets logged one way or another.

jasonmcroy

That would explain why the Web client shows it as a recording still in progress then. I wonder if opening the App (or anything that may have to access my network) is killing the stream to the HDHomerun Device and causing a tuner problem vs. an Emby problem. 

I am going to test this with their DVR a bit and see if I can re-create the same problem. Maybe it's not Emby related. 

Thanks for taking a look at the logs.