Live/Recorded TV setup alternative

bmoses

I'm looking for options/opinions on an alternate setup for Live/Recorded TV for me and my parents Emby setups. 

First a run down of my setup

Original HDHomerun tuner (so no DLNA) hooked to clear QAM cable, using serverwmc through emby. main viewing device is a nexus player connected to 5Ghz wifi. parents have a newer HDHomerun device but its still without DLNA support, they watch OTA channels only and their nexus players are wired to the network.

my main issues that i'm trying to "fix" are

1) live TV direct streaming to nexus player - this works with my setup but the video randomly "stutters" while audio continues to play fine

2) unable to fast forward, rewind, or resume when watching recorded TV shows through the auto generated "recorded TV" section of emby - i'm guessing this has something to do with WTV files, but the same files are able to fast forward, rewind, and resume when watching them through my recorded TV folder added to the library section.

3) WTV files don't direct stream to the nexus player, however if i rename the file to TS, MKV, etc then they direct stream fine

because of our hdhomerun tuners we are unable to use the integrated emby TV :( i like how easy/simple serverwmc is to setup and get EPG data. are there any alternatives out there that would address my issues but be just as easy as serverwmc to setup and get guide data? 

or an alternative question would be, has anyone run into the issues i described and was able to fix them with the setup i have?

• 3 weeks later...

I would consider getting a newer HDHomerun because everything becomes a lot simpler when there's no external software to depend on. If you're going to use a plugin, ServerWmc is the most popular one.

I would consider getting a newer HDHomerun because everything becomes a lot simpler when there's no external software to depend on. If you're going to use a plugin, ServerWmc is the most popular one.

thanks, yeah i know thats an option, but new tuners is expensive and was hoping there was a software alternative using my existing hardware.

• 4 weeks later...
knight09

Bmoses, I have the same setup and have experienced the video studdering issue on my amazon fire stick. I just chalked it up to be a hardware limitation of the fire stick as it would play seamlessly on a fire TV box. Perhaps your nexus players do not have the ability to decompress WTV fast enough. Although.. reducing your resolution may fix your problem.