Not able to connect via Roku

Hershey Media

Hershey Media

Hi there. I am not really a newbie per say, switched from Plex about a year ago. I have been running Emby on three Roku devices without any problems. The other day I decided to upgrade my OS ti Windows 10 and everything seem to have been going great. All my content is on an Seagate External HD and all of a sudden Windows 10 could not recognize it. Long story short, I down graded back to Windows 7  and now I can not get Emby to run on any of the Roku's. I have uninstalled/reinstalled and I get (on the TV's) to where it gives me a PIN number to link the accounts. I do it, then it will load for a while (3-4 minutes) before coming back and saying "Unable to Connect: We were unable to connect to this server. Please make sure it is running and try again". The server is running, I can view my libraries online. I even tried manually connecting and nothing. Now, that being said, I am not to up on routers. I have a router through Comcast, I have never changed any of the settings in it. Can it be that the port somehow got closed and I need to reopen it? If so how do I go about doing this? I know Windows Firewall asked for permission when I started Emby and I clicked allow. I have shut down my VPN and my antivirus to make sure that was not the problem.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Hershey Media

Here is my transcode log from the most recent. I did another clean format of my computer, nothing is installed except for Emby and I gave premission on the Windows Firewall for Emby. This is getting quit anoying, have spent two days dealing with this when just four day ago is was working fine....

Thank you for your help

John

transcode-c6c3c9bd-d364-4d0a-b615-6ed7ac931b96.txt

Edited by Hershey Media

Hi, welcome. Is your problem being unable to connect or having trouble playing content? Because in your original post you cited a completely different problem from what you mentioned in your second post.

In your second post, you're only getting 16-17 fps in your transcoding. That's not fast enough to be playable. In the server log you just posted you had a library scan going, it's possible that was affecting transcoding performance.

Or, maybe there was a change on your roku device and that is your problem? Perhaps by raising the playback bitrate in roku app settings, and/or checking that your roku device audio settings are correct, it might be possible to avoid transcoding altogether.

Hershey Media

Not to boggle anyone down, but I do not understand what I am reading here, so here is another log from earlier in the evening....I do see the first error states "015-11-11 21:32:14.4112 Error - HttpAsyncTaskHandler: Error occured while Processing Request: Access token is required." Not sure what Acess token means but guessing it is preventing my server from working :)

server-63582874189.txt

Hershey Media

I am actually having two problems. Sometimes it states it can not connect to server/ A few times said password is in correct (but then would load to my libraries) and other times it would load, start playing, then jump back to the roku home screeen. This is happening on all three Roku's which until a few days ago, I have not had a problem with...only thing I changed was my OS on my computer. That being said, now I am going to feel like a total newbie, how do I change the fsp?

You get faster frames per second (fps), by either getting a faster computer, reducing the amount of work your computer is doing while you attempt to play, or keeping your media in roku-friendly formats so that transcoding isn't needed in the first place. And the settings i mentioned above can also help.

In your third log it appears you reinstalled the server from scratch in which case it is normal that you would have to sign back into your emby apps again. So that is really nothing to worry about.

Hershey Media

Well, it not signing back on once. It will load a show, play for a few minutes, stop to load, then kick me back out. Why would I be having problems now, when I haven't had any problems at all for about a year, using the same computer?

because things change over time. Maybe some settings changed in the roku app or device (see post #4). Maybe the files you're trying to play are different from the files you were playing a year ago. Or maybe something has happened on your PC that is causing it to run slower. If you can try to play a variety of files and post your findings we might be able to help track it down.

Hershey Media

The sarcism is not helpful at all. I have actually four Roku's that I would stream to that worked fine until Tuesday evening. You are telling me, (not talking about a year ago, talking two days ago) everything changed and now nothing will work here? I guess it is possiable, as far as the "lagging", but what about it telling me it can not find the server, log me in, then kick me out? Again, Ihave never had a problem with Emby until Tuesday, now all I am having is problems. Same compuer as I have been using, clean OS is the only difference. I can not play any files cause it will give me a pin number, I activate it, it will load to select my server, I click on it, (sometimes it'll load the content most times it doesn't) then kick me back to the Roku channel page. Then I restart the process over again. I can not believe that is happenening because my computer is "too slow".

Sorry,there was no sarcasm intended, and it is not because your computer is too slow. I think am just getting mixed up in my advice over two different problems. 

Since you are inside your home network, try skipping the pin code process and connect to your server manually. To do this, select the Skip option on the pin code entry screen. You will then be asked to enter your server address, just enter it manually, for example, 192.168.1.1. If you don't know it, you can find it on the front page of the emby server dashboard, labeled as Local Address.

A new OS install is a pretty big change which could mean any number of configuration settings are not the same as they were - both within Emby and in the environment in general.

Since your server cannot be found automatically, I would suggest ensuring that whatever firewall is involved is allowing UDP traffic through to the server.

hogrider92

I too, as of about 4 days ago, could no longer get my Roku 2xd to connect to the Emby server. Deleted app and re-installed on Roku. Deleted server and attemped to add server back thru PIN code generated.  Attemped to manually add server. Have also reset the roku. All failed. The roku is wi-fi connected.  Can watch all other content thru it.  All the while when on the connect page it does recognize my Emby server name and goes through the actions after PIN code is entered as if connecting. One last item.  My Roku 3 in another room works (add I hope I haven't just jinxed it) just fine with Emby server.  Any help would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Same problem still having it

Hi, welcome. Since this is the first time you've mentioned, please start from the beginning and describe the problem in detail. For example, what are you clicking on, what errors are you seeing, what's happening, what's not happening, etc. Thanks.