TV Collections

zsolmanz

zsolmanz

There are 5 distinct series (TOS, TNG, Voyager etc.) all currently sub-folders to a 'Star Trek' folder in my emby TV library (which is set as Content Type:TV and includes one folder 'TV', under which is 'Star Trek' and then 'TOS', 'TNG' etc.)

Like so, if it helps:

TV Library:
D:\TV Shows
-->Star Trek
     -->TOS
     -->TNG
     -->Voyager

Unfortunately, emby has decided that the top-level Star Trek folder should be Identified as Star Trek: The Next Generation, set the 5 actual series as seasons of TNG and assigned all the TNG auto-downloaded-metadata to the top-level folder (see attached 1).

A random wiki page I found and have subsequently lost suggested that setting such top-level folders to Content Type:TV would enable emby to understand them better, but I can't find a way to do that.
I thought that adding the top-level folder directly to the TV library would do the same thing, but there was no change.

I then decided that an acceptable work-around would be adding the series to a Collection titled 'Star Trek', only to discover that Collections aren't viewable from the TV library - only from Movies - even when they're formed from members of the TV library.

Also worth noting is that I've switched my TV library from "Enable Enhanced Presentations" to that option being disabled (solely for TV), but it hasn't removed the Suggestions/Latest/Upcoming menu options from the top of this library view, which is sort of what I had expected it to do? (see attached 2 and 3)

post-86998-0-82657400-1447284706_thumb.png

post-86998-0-49276700-1447284958_thumb.png

post-86998-0-15082400-1447284990_thumb.png

Edited by zsolmanz

You can't use that kind of sub-folder structure within a true "TV" library.

I would suggest you just create the separate series in a flat folder structure and then use the web interface to create a collection of all of them.

• Like 1

You can't use that kind of sub-folder structure within a true "TV" library.

I would suggest you just create the separate series in a flat folder structure and then use the web interface to create a collection of all of them.

This is what I did with all my Star Trek and now I can enjoy all my generations from my collection.

TV (has all your series in it, be it Star Trek or other)

Star Trek (a folder for the Original series)

Season 1 (a folder which contains all the season episode video files for season one)

Season 2 ( all your season two episode files)

You do this for all your series. Under the TV folder again, you would then have:

Star Trek TNG

Season 1

Season 2

Etc. Each contains video files from the particular season.

Then after you have set that up, you can build all of them into a collection: Star Trek.

Edited by chef

Sorry, I forgot about the direct content-type manipulation.

Did you do that?  Did you change the content type of the top "Star Trek" folder to TV?

zsolmanz

...I can enjoy all my generations from my collection.

Do you access your collections from within your TV library?  For me, Collections appear under Movies.  (Not that that's a deal-breaker, it's just mildly irritating)

<snip>

Did you change the content type of the top "Star Trek" folder to TV?

Yeah, but only 3 minutes ago - I hadn't quite worked out what it meant at first.  No change yet, in spite of refreshing it - is there any way I can force it to update? Edited by zsolmanz

You may need to clear out any metadata files (.nfo or .xml) that were created when the item was mis-identified as a series.

zsolmanz

I'm only mid-way through my first library scan as it is!

I'm slightly concerned, because wiping the .nfo file (and all artwork) hasn't actually stopped the Star Trek folder from Identifying as Next Generation.  I haven't found an option to scrap an identification yet - lemme look in the metadata manager...

EDIT:  Nope.  Can only edit metadata, not remove it entirely, meaning I have no way to change the folder back to normality.

Edited by zsolmanz

Happy2Play

Well you won't see much change until a library scan is completed or restarting the server.

zsolmanz

Does that mean the Real Time Monitoring options are hampered during a library scan?  Or do they only keep directories up-to-date, not metadata?

5643dd649497a_emby4.png

Edited by zsolmanz

zsolmanz

Tell you what, I'll just wait until this library scan is complete and fiddle with it all then.  I just hope I can find a way to fix the metadata after it's all assigned :/

EDIT:  Just to confirm, I've not changed my file structure at all but the system has now started working properly: today the 5 individual Star Trek series appeared in my TV library as separate shows.  A compilation view would be nice (or for Collections to also appear under TV), but this is ok for now, and I will go on to set any other top-tier folders to Type:TV.

This leaves me a question about Movies.  There's no equivalent way to organise movies by setting folder types (that I've found).  So as things stand, I will have to take all movies out of their group folders in order for Emby to work properly.  Naturally I can then put them into a Collection, but it's a little frustrating to have to destroy my file structure when the TV section has a solution.

Edited by zsolmanz