Library Scan hangs mid-way. Takes 7-8 hours to complete.

Palmore

Well, I've ran a library scan a few times in the past 2-3 weeks. Including a complete wipe clean and rescan.

When a scan occurs, it will hang mid way, all disk and network activity drops, yet Emby still eats about 30% CPU of a dual core 5Ghz box.

I looked at the logs, and it stops any activity, aside from upnp keep alive messages.  Yet going to the Server Manager its froze at 56.1%

I've also noticed if running a library scan and the Trakt plugin kicks off. Both never complete.

Trakt sat at 0% for 7 hours and the Library scan I ended up canceling after 7.5 Hours.

My scans have taken upwords of 8-10 hours to complete. 

Collection is 3,000 Movies, 155 TV series, 52,000 MP3s

I have disabled FanArt per some prior posts I've seen, as well as AutoBox Sets (as I feared this was causing slowness)

Either way, the scan either takes several hours to complete, or never does complete. It also causes all of my Kodi devices to do a full resync once the server restarts.

server-63582850625.zip

Hi there,

This is only a 25-minute log, so it's a little hard to gauge, but on the surface nothing appears to be overly abnormal within that log.

Can you try temporarily removing the kodi sync queue plugin to see if that helps improve the situation? thanks.

Hi there,

This is only a 25-minute log, so it's a little hard to gauge, but on the surface nothing appears to be overly abnormal within that log.

Can you try temporarily removing the kodi sync queue plugin to see if that helps improve the situation? thanks.

Will do, and sorry for the short log, my other log is a 24 hour log and its over 80mb, I can link it from my website if you would like. But in the 20 minute log, it would jump to 56.1% fairly quickly then stay at that until canceled.

I'm going to disable the sync plugin now and do some testing.

Thank you very much.

Well, same issue. I run a scan, it gets to 56.1% and hangs, disk activity stops, network traffic drops off and the library becomes unavailable.

It does appear to be scanning the same folders at the time of failure. Some had either no Season folder (for shows) or Season 01 was spelled Seaosn 01.

Ive fixed that and will be running another scan, but Im not sure thats the error. Emby states it can't find any metadata or info for said Movies or shows, but if I review the media folders they have Emby nfo files

server-63582856311.zip

can you also try removing autoboxsets? also, go to metadata settings -> services tab. select seasons, uncheck TheMovieDb for metadata and click save. Then select Episodes, uncheck TheMovieDb for images and click save. thanks.

can you also try removing autoboxsets? also, go to metadata settings -> services tab. select seasons, uncheck TheMovieDb for metadata and click save. Then select Episodes, uncheck TheMovieDb for images and click save. thanks.

Sadly it appears to be the same result. All activity halts.  =(

I've attached my most recent log, I plan on letting it sit for several hours and checking back, unless there is anything else you would like me to test?

Thank you very much for your time.

server-63582860021.zip

Edited by Palmore

yea try removing the last fm plugin. i vaguely recall someone reporting this and removing that solved it. you have both lastfm plugins so i'm referring to the metadata plugin

yea try removing the last fm plugin. i vaguely recall someone reporting this and removing that solved it. you have both lastfm plugins so i'm referring to the metadata plugin

Sounds good, I just checked my status and its still not moved and nothing new in the logs. I'll remove that and give it a whirl.

Thank you very much.

Just as an update. Still the same result, and hung at the same point.

In the logs it always freezes at 101 Dalmatians II - Patch's London Adventure    stating it cannot find meta data for the movie, though the folder contains an nfo file and the metadata manager shows almost all data populated.

On an earlier attempt I removed that movie from my collection, but it still hung.

This past attempt (with removing LastFM plugin) I modified 101 Dalmatians II in the metadata manager to update all data, then locked it from changes. Yet in the log it still states it cannot find data and adds it to the DB and saves the nfo file.

Im not sure this is related as it froze when I ran a scan with out this movie in my collection.

server-63582867621.zip

i do see this so i wonder if there might be some kind of hang trying to access your network folders

2015-11-11 19:45:07.9662 Error - App: Error resolving path \\nas01.cc.local\VIDEO\Movies\A Nightmare on Elm Street 5 The Dream Child - HDr

The specified network name is no longer available.

At this point since we're not sure what the problem is i would remove all plugins. I would also turn off the library monitor under library -> advanced, simply for the reason of reducing any possible disk i/o. If none of that makes a difference, i reduce your library setup of 3 libraries to just 1, then if that scan is successful, add another, and so on.

Understood, I've included a log of the scan, this one took 1.5 hours to complete, much better than it had been. But there is still a long delay where nothing is occurring (at least from what I can see in Win7 Resource monitor) and sadly the entire library is offline during that time.

I will follow your recommendations and report my findings.

Thank you

server-63582869214.zip

Keep in mind you've also enabled the automatic update feature from tvdb which as mentioned on the configuration page:

This will cause library scans to take longer and will result in more disk activity.

You have a 2-core server. Given this and the plugins, I think you might have to adjust your expectation level a little bit. Your system is perfectly fine to run the core emby server, but pulling in all of these optional add-ons does change things a bit.

Keep in mind you've also enabled the automatic update feature from tvdb which as mentioned on the configuration page:

This will cause library scans to take longer and will result in more disk activity.

You have a 2-core server. Given this and the plugins, I think you might have to adjust your expectation level a little bit. Your system is perfectly fine to run the core emby server, but pulling in all of these optional add-ons does change things a bit.

Understood, my expectations have been lowered to the point I've uninstalled Emby.

My hope was to replace Plex for my home automation project prior to going on DiY Network was Emby seemed to play better with my Kodi client setups over Plex.

Plex running on the same exact hardware with more than several plugins in place, sadly removing the plugins I was using for Emby removes a big portion of my functionality (scrobbling and correct tags)

It would be a shame to have my library decide to scan during a shooting and the library becomes unavailable the entire time. 

I don't mind the scan time, competitive products take a bit of time as well, but my media and content is always available during that time.

I have read several posts on the forums in regards to this issue, several users encountering the same issue or related. So I would believe its a known issue (plugins and or other items cause very long scan times, and library is unavailable during these times), and it has been acknowledged as this issue I do believe arose in the past few versions (I'm new to Emby in the past 2 weeks, been using other products since).

Please understand, this is not a rant. I love Emby and in the past 6 months I've toyed with installing it before, but have always had media scanning issues.

I feel Emby is a ton better than Plex in the features look and feel and functionality. And I can't wait till its to the point I can rely on it and become a supporter (and drop my plex pass)

Heck to be honest I don't care if the scans take 10 hours, as long as I can access the interface and enjoy my media during =)

I'll keep a close eye on the development, and test it out as it grows. I look forward to putting it back on my system and integrating it back into my automation.

Thank you very much.

There is an issue of content being unavailable until the first scan is complete after starting the server, and that is being resolved for the next release. Some of the addons you're running are unique and I know that competitor products don't have them. Not all of them are built by the core team and unfortunately we run into the same situation we now have here in this thread. 

There is an issue of content being unavailable until the first scan is complete after starting the server, and that is being resolved for the next release. Some of the addons you're running are unique and I know that competitor products don't have them. Not all of them are built by the core team and unfortunately we run into the same situation we now have here in this thread. 

Understood, its an amazing product, I love it. I really appreciate your hard work and quick responses as well as the other devs and community.

I look forward to future releases.

Thank you very much

• 3 months later...

Not to wake a dead thread or a sleeping giant, but I have since built a FreeNAS box.

Consisting of 

2x Hex Core Xeon 2.4Ghz CPUs

48GB of ECC RAM

6x 5TB drives

and a Mirror with 1 60GB SSDs (for Emby Jail)

Library scans now only take 20 minutes or so, unless I choose refresh missing data etc.

All appears to be running much better.

Thank you.

• Like 1