Nexus player vs Chromecast

shaefurr

shaefurr

So I need something in our bedroom to get emby and netflix on so I can unhook the laptop from the TV. I'm just stuck on which of these 2 devices to get, I dont want to spend extra for a nuc or nvidia shield or anything since I can get a chromecast for 35 or a NP for 45.

My biggest rips are blurays compressed to about 10-15gb mkvs. I don't care about transcoding since my server can handle it I just want this thing to stream media properly without giving me a headache. I know an actual UI and remote from the NP might be nice, but my wife and I both have android phones and tablets to cast with.

Just curious what would you recommend?

That's a no-brainer in my book since a NP is actually a Chromecast too for that type of functionality and then so much more.

• Like 1

ice pube

That's a no-brainer in my book since a NP is actually a Chromecast too for that type of functionality and then so much more.

I concur. If you have a family member I would almost say a remote is required. I tried to get my mom onto the chromecast when it first came out, but it was honestly kind of a mess. Pausing the video would usually involve trying to fumble around with her phone, re-connecting to the app, etc etc. 

Get a NP. 

• Like 1

jasonmcroy

Yes, I have the NP and a Shield and a Chromecast. Get the NP if you're not interested in the Shield for the bedroom.

I now only use the Chromecast when I travel. 

shaefurr

well that sucks, just looked at these and the NP on sale for $45 at newegg is already sold out, lol

Check your local Target or Wal-Mart too.  They had them for $49 a while back.

Sure seems like a fire sale going on here...

shaefurr

Ya going to look today, I really don't want just a Chromecast since my windows phone can't play anything to it

sent from my lumia icon

shaefurr

Thanks for the help guys, very happy with the nexus, it tucked away nicely on top of the wall mount behind the TV. Emby ATV app is fantastic btw, nice work Eric.

• Like 5