Question about transcoding

Heckler

Heckler

Updated to Version 3.0.5781.1 because things that had been causing me issues for months seemed to be getting fixed.

Oh how I wish I had never bothered.

Because now the only way I can watch anything encoded in HEVC x265 is on the server itself within media centre, or with VLC.

If I try to watch anything any other way the ffmpg process ramps up to several hundred MB and 90% of the CPU. Now when I try to play something on my other PC across my home network... the media server starts transcoding it instead of simply streaming the raw stream.... yet if I watch the same file on another PC using mediaplayer or VLC it plays perfectly without transcoding anything.

I've been through all the settings, I've made sure all codecs are the latest ones... I cannot get it to stop transcoding something that it should never be transcoding in the first place. I have the native ability to play HEVC/x265 on all of the PC's on my home network... there should be no transcoding going on at all but nothing I do seems to stop it.

The side effect of this is that videos now take longer to start, and trying to skip/forward in a video means a really, really long pause.

Sunday... everything worked perfectly, no transcoding issues... all of the previous issues I'd been complaining about seemed to be mostly resolved. I was happy again after months of misery using emby.... so I foolishly updated and now it's back to misery once more.

So please tell me where I can turn of this damn transcoding,.. the only time it should be needed is if I am connecting remotely from another location... and that rarely ever happens because of crappy wifi. It should not be transcoding across my home network at all.

If you need logs, tell me what ones and what I should do before I post them to make sure they contain the right information...

Right now... it's back to using VLC again.

For media playback issues please see:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

A lot depends on what app you're trying to play from. You are currently under the impression that everything should be able to handle h265 natively but that is not the case, and that is why transcoding is used when it is required.

Heckler

When I use media centre client, no transcoding is used. When I use VLC or mediaplayer (x64) no transcoding is used.... When I use the browser gui to play something... transcoding is used.

All of the above applies regardless of which system I am on. It's transcoding video to play in browser, giving an inferior quality image and sound when the system can play it natively with any need for transcoding at all. Additionally, if you cancel the playback on another machine within the browser /client window (using the X in the corner of the playback screen) then the ffmpg process on the server never ends, never times out just keeps sucking up memory and CPU cycles and if you start the same video or another one... it starts another ffmpg process and the cycle can repeat over and over.

All systems I am testing it on have 4-8 core processors running between 3.5 & 4.2ghz with either 8 or 16GB memory and have the most up to date codecs installed and have tested it thoroughly to ensure that native playback of HEVC works properly. I've done my research into what's required for it and I'm slowly replacing a lot of my older avi dvd rips with higher quality ones in many cases gaining a lot of quality for a smaller filesize.

I thought that perhaps I should enable external players within the browser... doesn't work just gives some url error... I assume it's more for mobile than desktop.

The only time transcoding is used is when I want to watch something via the browser/client/interface, regardless of which machine it tries to do it on... and when I asked about logs, I meant do you want me to perhaps turn on the transcoding logger before attempting to play something via the browser/client.gui.

Oh and using firefox v42.0 to access the dashboard/browser client

Edited by Heckler

Browsers are going to be limited to mp4 containers, h264 video and aac audio. Chrome can play some mkv's, and MS Edge supports AC3.  That's the extent of what you can play in a browser without transcoding.

Heckler

OK, cheers for that Luke... I use the browser a lot, as I often have something playing on a second screen via it as I'm working away on other things. It plays most things fine as I tend to have mainly x264 mp4/mkv files. But moving onto HEVC mkv files now as they're better quality with smaller file size....

Do you know how I can get the browser to trigger vlc or mediaplayer for playback.  I can navigate to the files individually over the network and play them back... Normally I'd leave the browser on the next up page and just play the next episode as one finishes (now that auto refreshing it has been fixed again). If I play them via an explorer window it takes longer to navigate to them, and doesn't auto mark them as watched within emby...

I understand that it's a browser limitation now rather than an emby one... but it's made using the browser interface unworkable and it's the ease and convenience of it that appeals.

Also, any ideas to make the transcoding faster, less CPU intensive?  Currently using the method built into emby... is there a better way I should be trying?

there's a couple community options. Ankts build a standalone app that allows the browser to play to mpc-hc, although he's no longer updating it anymore.

You can also check out Smart Player for Emby in the windows app store, built by @nullpointer. it wraps the web client into a windows application and replaces the web video player with a native player.

Heckler

You can also check out Smart Player for Emby in the windows app store, built by @nullpointer. it wraps the web client into a windows application and replaces the web video player with a native player.

Will that work on Windows 7 Pro 64?

Never mind... win 10 only.... and until there's a media centre app that will work from and with the remote... I'm not upgrading.

Edited by Heckler
  • Like 1