Suggestions For HTPC

Erik

I have been running with 2 HTPC that are full i3 computers running Windows 10 just in small Silverstone HTPC case. All the media is stored on the server so they just play the media. I use Emby (or course), Netflix and watch a bunch of tv network official sites (in Canada so CTV, Global, discovery channel).

So I want to switch to a smaller device that would fit on the back of the tv. Any suggestions or comments for:

1) Intel NUC

2) Nexus Player (or hopefully new version)

3) Nvidia Shield

4) Apple TV 4

Or other...

Thanks!

Edited by Erik

colejack

It seems lots of people are using RPi 2's for clients. I really need to get one and do some experimenting of my own. Currently I use Amazon Fire Sticks in my secondary tv's and xbox one on my main.

Two of the biggest determining factors will be what type of media and what app/interface you wish to use.

I would like to have as much as direct play media as possible. It's almost all mkv with either h264/ac3 or mpeg2/ac3 in my collection. I have never used android tv but seems intriguing. At the moment I mostly use Emby Theater and windows app as my preference.

Does the android product have a browser that supports flash? For anything that doesn't have dedicated apps?

I don't know all the apps that are available but we watch; slice.ca / much.com / ctv.ca / globaltv.com / citytv.com / history.ca

I know ctv and global have apps for IOS, but as I said, never used android or the Google store before.

Thanks vidman,

So only about 1/2 of them have apps, and I thought it was flash from a while back.

It won't play in safari or chrome on my iPhone, says not available on mobile browsers...what smartphone are you using? Android?

Ok, so does android tv have the same apps a their smartphones? or is it a different thing altogether.

Thanks again

Vidman

Basic answer is yes. Complicated answer is only apps specified as android tv compatible will be available from the app store on the device but most others can be side loaded and then accessed with side load launcher

Cheesegeezer

I have tried various types of clients. I'll let you know what I've got.

Main HTPC - Full blown gaming rig. MBC

Bedroom HTPC - Intel NUC i3 running MBC

Lodge - ROKU 3

I've had an Android stick and NOWTV Apple TV.

If it was me I would get an NUC. Great little Box and perfect as you can install necessary codes to get direct play on all your formats. i3 will be enough for you and keeps it quiet. If you want to run MBC then make sure you get win8.1 pro not win 10.

Don't go for 4th gen ATV as we don't have a client yet. ROKU'sare good but not a very pretty interface for your main display. Android Stick is ok but you'll need a good remote to work it well.

There's my tuppence worth.

Hi,

I use a Nuc i5 as my htpc. great piece of hardware. Small quiet. Only downside is the price. But should last and play about anything. I use the Windows app (win10) Direct plays most everything and I suppose will try theater. The Intel remote keyboard app (I use the ios version. is great for those odd times the Win remote doesn't work.

Thanks everyone. I think the NUC will be the best solution for me. I still use a full blown of for my main tv area but my wife would like the components hidden as much as I can behind the front room and bedroom tv's.

kpate77

I have tried various types of clients. I'll let you know what I've got.

Main HTPC - Full blown gaming rig. MBC

Bedroom HTPC - Intel NUC i3 running MBC

Lodge - ROKU 3

I've had an Android stick and NOWTV Apple TV.

If it was me I would get an NUC. Great little Box and perfect as you can install necessary codes to get direct play on all your formats. i3 will be enough for you and keeps it quiet. If you want to run MBC then make sure you get win8.1 pro not win 10.

Don't go for 4th gen ATV as we don't have a client yet. ROKU'sare good but not a very pretty interface for your main display. Android Stick is ok but you'll need a good remote to work it well.

There's my tuppence worth.

Just got my new NUC today with Windows 8.1 Pro!  Was so excited until I went to purchase the Media Center Pack for 8.1.  Microsoft is no longer selling it.  Quick Googling does not come up with any 3rd party retailers selling it either.  If I'd known that, I would have purchased 7 instead of 8.1.  Ugh

Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3107057

Thanks for that, but I have used Emby theatre since it came out, so I don't need WMC. Just awaiting Emby theater 2.0 anxiously!!

Cheesegeezer

Just got my new NUC today with Windows 8.1 Pro!  Was so excited until I went to purchase the Media Center Pack for 8.1.  Microsoft is no longer selling it.  Quick Googling does not come up with any 3rd party retailers selling it either.  If I'd known that, I would have purchased 7 instead of 8.1.  Ugh

Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3107057

If you have pro then I don't think you need to purchase it, it should be available as a download, did you search the store?

If it's not available then this really a sad time for us that do prefer the original incarnation of videobrowser and it's successors to what is now Emby MC.

God damn you M$!!!!!

Cheesegeezer

When I added it to my Pro installation, a $10 purchase was required.

I didn't have to purchase anything here in the UK, i just had to add it to the arsenal of apps. :)