Both my poor linux box and I are desperately tired

石头猫

石头猫

I have a tiny linux box, although its core may just run a little bit faster than a home router, it works great as a NAS.  I put Emby on it, and played movies on my Android Devices by the powerful MX player, everything is perfect if the DirectPlay is adopted. To avoid transcoding, I set the max bitrate to the upper limit everywhere in the configuration.
But it looks like Emby persistently wants to do more: “The player is a fool, Let’s transcode for it!” my poor linux box, it works hard but I still watch the movie piece by piece, frame by frame. what a nightmare.
Today I looked into the logs to see why some movies are not able to get DirectPlay, I saw this:

App: Not eligible for DirectPlay due to unsupported subtitles
App: Not eligible for DirectStream due to unsupported subtitles

the subtitle format is srt - Default - Forced, I have several other movies also use this kind of subtitle format, but those movies can be played directly.

I’ve read some posts here about turning off the transcoding, and I tried many times to modify the profiles and adjust the settings. The result is the same. Nothing changed. I spend hours on it, now I’m exhausted.

Anyone could give me a suggestion about how to effectually escape from transcoding? Many thanks.

ok. we'll have to add subtitles to the external player streaming profile, for the next release. you know that our internal player should be able to handle that right?

石头猫

ok. we'll have to add subtitles to the external player streaming profile, for the next release. you know that our internal player should be able to handle that right?

On my Android Pad, the MX player can handle a 16G mkv two-hour movie (I didn't calculate the bitrate), but the internal player may not able to play the high-bitrate movie smoothly.

I'm glad to hear that we will have a external player streaming solution at next release. thank you very much!

Edited by 石头猫
  • Like 1