Download older version?

BrianG

Recently updated to 3.0.5781.0 from a dev release of 3.0.5768.0. I didn't need to update it because everything was working just fine, but I did it just to be current. Ever since I updated to the newer version, Emby has been extremely unstable. I really don't need/want to report the problem or figure out why it's unstable, I would just like the old dev version I was on (3.0.5768.0). Is there someplace I can get it?

FYI: I was using this dev release because it solved an issue I was having with the channel guide not updating. I would find the forum thread talking about it, but it seems to be gone now.

Happy2Play

The last/previous version of the server is always maintained in the Emby-Server\System.old.

Olywa123

When you update, your previous version is kept on your system for roll back, only if you really MUST roll back you can do this...

Make sure to turn off automatic updates, stop the server from running and go to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server (or possibly Roaming\MediaBrowser- Server) then rename the "System" folder to something else (e.g. System.bak) then rename "System.old" to "System" and start the server again. This will put you back where you were, however...

A word of caution, there have been a lot of changes recently and I'm certain it was said that at some point in the recent Dev cycle (3.0.5xxx) that reverting back is no longer possible due to database and back-end changes and may break things.

If I were you and given that you were happy to run a Dev previously, I would consider trying the current Dev which is for the most part fine for me currently. Be sure to run a full library scan and the clean db task at least once (they may both take some time).

Perhaps make a copy of your whole 'Emby-Server' folder first.

Edited by Olywa123

Thanks everyone. I can't roll back since I've tried too many things. I guess I'll just have to figure out why the latest build is not working for me, which means getting retrieving and posting logs. Ugg. I should never have touched it.

I thought my issue was with DLNA since Emby seemed more stable after I disabled it. But emby has crashed again between yesterday and today. And really, it's not just emby, but the whole server crashed and needed rebooting. This wasn't happening until the moment I updated to the latest version. Could be a coincidence I suppose, but seems awfully fishy.

Did you say you went to the dev line and then tried to go back to stable?

If so, there are some database changes happening lately that will not be backward compatible.  If that is the case, you may need to delete your database files and let the server re-build them.

Did you say you went to the dev line and then tried to go back to stable?

If so, there are some database changes happening lately that will not be backward compatible.  If that is the case, you may need to delete your database files and let the server re-build them.

Yes, I tried to use the latest dev, but it wouldn't fully install. The progress bar would hang at around 80% and then I'd get a couple runtime error popups. But that was after I tried the latest regular release. To make this clearer, this is the timeline:

1. Updated to 3.0.5781.0. Immediately started having problems. My family tried to watch a movie within a few minutes of the upgrade and the movie just stopped. I checked the server and it wasn't responding to remote desktop but was pingable. I logged into the console (the server is in the basement), and it appeared the server was finishing a reboot. I looked at the event viewer and it said there was an unplanned shutdown. I chalked it up to some odd event. But this kept happening every 1/2 hour or so.
  2. Suspecting the new release, I wanted to go back to 3.0.5768.0. but found I couldn't.
  3. Tried the latest beta (whatever the latest beta release is), but had same crashing and error issues.
  4. Tried the latest dev (don't know the version), but it wouldn't install, like I mentioned.
  5. Went back to 3.0.5781.0. I had noticed Emby seemed to have more problems when someone tried to access Emby via DLNA (via xbox one or Windows Explorer Network places), so I disabled DLNA in Emby. Emby seemed to be more stable, at least it appeared to be since it hadn't crashed or caused a server reboot in a while. But it did eventually crash, which is when I came here asking if I could find an older version.

If clearing the databases may help, how do I do this?

I would investigate the true cause of the machine shutdown that occurred.  Sounds more like a hardware or device driver issue to me...

I would investigate the true cause of the machine shutdown that occurred.  Sounds more like a hardware or device driver issue to me...

That's what I tried to do. Event viewer wasn't helpful - it just said unplanned shutdown (or something like that) like we had a power failure or something (we didn't). Drivers are all up to date (haven't changed in a while). I tested memory using Memtest86 for about an hour; memory fine. Nothing in device manager showing unknown or broken hardware. I even did a CPU stress test using Prime95 for a couple hours to rule out power supply or temperature issues. I just found it very coincidental that the issues started happening immediately after installing the new version. Before doing so, everything has been stable for several weeks without a single hiccup.

One thing I did see in event viewer after the newest release version is that Emby is having trouble starting after a reboot. I run it as a service, so I changed the Emby service from "automatic" to "automatic delayed start". Things seem to have become more stable in the last day, but it's really too soon to tell.

I am still interested in deleting the database files though if you think it may help. But how is this done?

It doesn't sound like you are having a database compatibility issue so I would not worry about that.