Kodi on NP w/Emby Plugin problems

tman

I've been trying to get the Emby for Kodi plugin working on a Nexus Player, and run into some issues. The NP is running Android 6, along with Kodi 15.2 and Emby plugin 1.1.54 (latest I believe).

So, Kodi installs ok, the Emby plugin installs ok, and it performs a full sync against by Emby server. Movie posters then appear in the grid - so far, so good.

I configured the plugin with my Emby creds, but from this point on, I get problems.

First, whenever I try to playback any item, I get the message 'The video is no longer available. Do you want to remove it from your library?'. Every single time. I've tried setting Direct Play off and on (and I set my SMB user/password in the plugin - Emby server is WHS2011). If I test browsing the server using ES File Explorer using the same creds, it works ok. I tried various settings inc switch back to HTTP, with a streaming profile set to 100Mb (the NP is using a USB-> Gb Ethernet adapter). This is a fairly fundamental problem, but I'll list the others as well.

Despite completing a full sync, when I open some TV series (most have multiple seasons), nothing is displayed. I see the poster image for the show, but when I select, nothing is shown. I tried various views, but nothing. A couple of shows DO show seasons though, but not all of them.

Nothing even attempts to play from the 'Spotlight' view. No message or anything when I select an item.

I have custom images for genres, which I like, but the plugin doesn't seem to sync or use those. Is that expected?

Finally, less of an issue, but the NP remote control is fairly button limited, so how do I actually enter the movie details view when viewing the poster grid. Is there actually a way, or is it just not possible?

Edited by tman

Angelblue05

If you choose direct paths when setting up, you need to ensure your emby paths are properly formatted for Kodi to be able to access your files. Otherwise Kodi will give you an error when trying to locate the file for playback.

What are you using to access your file over network, smb, nfs? How are your library paths formatted in emby (dashboard > library)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05

If you choose direct paths when setting up, you need to ensure your emby paths are properly formatted for Kodi to be able to access your files. Otherwise Kodi will give you an error when trying to locate the file for playback.

What are you using to access your file over network, smb, nfs? How are your library paths formatted in emby (dashboard > library)?

Thanks for the reply. Not sure where you setup those paths, but I'm using SMB, so as far as I'm aware as long as it's using SMB://<path> everything should be ok as long you you have the correct network credentials in place. The problem is, neither playback over HTTP or Direct actually do anything except show the error.

Angelblue05

You are using direct paths. None of the playback options will have any effect other than network credentials. So here is what you do, since you didn't answer my question...

You will go to your emby dashboard > library > media folders and ensure your paths starts like so: \\<computername>\
If it's not the case, you will need to do a path substitution in emby. From: whatever your current media root folders
To: \\computername\networkshare\

Edit: unable to escape backslash on my phone sorry.

In emby for kodi add-on settings > playback > enter your network credentials. In advanced tab > first set debug level to Info, then select reset local database. It will prompt you to reset your kodi database, Yes. It will prompt you to reset emby info, No.

Let your content resync. If you are having trouble still, post your kodi log from that time. If you need help with that, check our how to report a problem sticky.

Edit: if you want the option to play over http, etc. you need to not use direct paths and let the add-on control what happens at playback. In the add-on settings > sync option > disable local paths instead of plugin redirect. Reset your database as mentioned previously.

Edited by xnappo

You are using direct paths. None of the playback options will have any effect other than network credentials. So here is what you do, since you didn't answer my question...

You will go to your emby dashboard > library > media folders and ensure your paths starts like so: \\<computername>\

If it's not the case, you will need to do a path substitution in emby. From: whatever your current media root folders

To: \\computername\networkshare\

Edit: unable to escape backslash on my phone sorry.

In emby for kodi add-on settings > playback > enter your network credentials. In advanced tab > first set debug level to Info, then select reset local database. It will prompt you to reset your kodi database, Yes. It will prompt you to reset emby info, No.

Let your content resync. If you are having trouble still, post your kodi log from that time. If you need help with that, check our how to report a problem sticky.

Edit: if you want the option to play over http, etc. you need to not use direct paths and let the add-on control what happens at playback. In the add-on settings > sync option > disable local paths instead of plugin redirect. Reset your database as mentioned previously.

Thanks for that. I did setup a path substitution in Emby Server, then reset the local DB in the Emby app for Kodi - and amazingly, things then started playing. Not sure whether the path sub actually fixed the problem, as I didn't need to enter the actual path in the plugin - but it seemed to work.

First impressions are, the few things I tried played without a problem, and they seemed to direct play (no transcoding - woo hoo!). Audio seems ok, but too much pausing/skipping confuses playback sometimes (goes from 5.1 to 2.0 to nothing at all). Video quality was very, very good. Black levels were where they should be, but, even though I configured Kodi to change refresh rate to match the source, everything still plays at 60p only (damn). Was fully expecting the refresh rate to change automatically. I thought Kodi supported this on the NP now, but I'll have to do some more research.

I still have a problem with some TV Shows not showing any content, or only showing the episodes from one season when there are multiple. A full DB reset didn't help that one.

Definitely a step forward anyway. I don't know why video quality when played through the native Emby for Android TV client is so poor though.

• Like 1

xnappo

You need to turn on advanced settings, then you will be able to muck with refresh rate stuff.  You can also get access to passthrough audio with advanced settings turned on, which may help your audio issues.

Regarding TV seasons - make sure that in your metadata the episodes all have seasons listed.  Unfortunately we are more sensitive to seasons missing identification than the other clients.

See here: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/20394-episodes-not-being-added-to-library/&do=findComment&comment=199170

Edited by xnappo
  • Like 1

You need to turn on advanced settings, then you will be able to muck with refresh rate stuff.  You can also get access to passthrough audio with advanced settings turned on, which may help your audio issues.

Regarding TV seasons - make sure that in your metadata the episodes all have seasons listed.  Unfortunately we are more sensitive to seasons missing identification than the other clients.

See here: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/20394-episodes-not-being-added-to-library/&do=findComment&comment=199170

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like there was missing metadata for some of the shows that weren't displaying, so I've updated all this now, and it looks ok again.

• Like 1