NextPVR vs DVBLogic as WMC replacement ?

vaise

Hi,

Background :

Im in Australia and IceTV EPG guide is no longer an option for me, which means I am not tied to WMC anymore, which means I am now able to upgrade to Windows 10.  

I have 3 HDHR network tuners (old ones without dlna so cant use the in built Emby TV).  

I have Roku 3's in every room (6 of them) that deliver Emby, Netflix, plex (was on trial but now just a backup for Emby) etc.  

I was using WMC and ServerWMC.  

We never watch live TV so channel switching time is not relevant.  

I have a Netgear 314 x86 NAS with 4 x 4TB drives.  Plex currently runs on this, and DVBLogic runs on this.

Yesterday I have tried DVBLogic for a day, added all the shows, let it record, and tested the Emby plugin - all good

Today it is nextPVR's time.  

Option 1 - DVBLogic :

Pros - can run on the NAS, once Emby can run on the NAS also, then the computer can be turned off then.

Cons - guide is slow to operate via the web and via emby, costs 49 euros.

Option 2 - NextPVR :

Pros - guide is fast on the PC, Wife says it is easier to operate to select her shows to record etc (using the PC), 

Cons - Runs on the PC

Question to anyone who has experience - is there anything I am missing ?  Is one better than the other ?  

Thanks.

Spaceboy

My opinion but dvblink is completely stable and reliable. Far more so than nextpvr from what I read here. True the guide isn't speedy (be interested to see what load times you get as I have found its improved dramatically recently) but I very rarely watch live tv, I schedule all recordings from the dvblink web or iOS app and that's lightening. I think there's more improvement to be made in emby too. Never misses a recording and the clincher for me is dvblink supports the use of CI cards so I can watch my sky subscription within emby, I do not believe nextpvr supports that. Also I'm not sure that nextpvr is free.

Cons are that yes it's not cheap, they also charge for major upgrades although some credit is given to existing users. and don't expect any further development ever, expect their releases to occasionally contain minor bugs but these are usually quickly fixed.

Cool.  I am running them side by side for a bit - changing the emby plugin from one to the other as I test integration.  Same shows being recorded by each system.  I have 18 days left ont he dvblogic trial software.  

So far, it seems the only issue is setting series recordings with dvblogic means I set them to record with one click, then have to go back into the schedules for them and click on them to change the series recording options to new only - the defaults are no good and i cant find where to set the defaults.  Nextpvr it seems easier much easier to set the shows, and much more options, from a faster EPG.

jasonmcroy

Before I started using the Emby Live TV feature with my HDHomerun Prime and Extend, I used NextPVR for about 2 years without any problems at all. I did try the trial of DVBLogic but I couldn't get it to work on my computer. It could have been my error in setting it up somehow but I could never get it to scan my channels properly and asking for help on the forums didn't provide anything that fixed my issue. So, I can't comment on their service overall.

You're correct though, NextPVR will only run on the PC, so it's limiting in that respect so it's going to be a personal decision there. 

I have my PC running 24/7 anyway for other stuff (media center master auto downloading etc), so it is no biggie in having this running on the nas........  I just find the programming of the recordings easier on nextPVR is seems.  I have been playing with a few skins also - tvlistings - to get more than 8 EPG guide lines (I only needed 15 in total - Australia does not have many channels) - so they are all on one screen.  I did not have kodi as a front end to 'assist; with this limitation on DVBLogic.  

Well. I'm leaving nextpvr.

Tonight it failed to record the wife's stuff. Service had died. Found that bitdefender full scan thought it was a load of viruses and quarenteened stuff. Tried restoring from quarenteen, service still not starting. Uninstalled, reinstalled but the recording service is corrupt in some way.

Found a few nextpvr forum articles about anti virus issues like this. Excluded the folders, but it's too late. That should have been in the install notes, should not have to wait for it to fail in such an abysmal way.

Back to dvblogic......

Maybe this will help others.

Found a few nextpvr forum articles about anti virus issues like this. Excluded the folders, but it's too late. That should have been in the install notes, should not have to wait for it to fail in such an abysmal way.

How can you blame NextPVR for that? That's clearly buggy antivirus incorrectly deciding something is a virus and proceeding to break that app.  You should instead be reporting the problem to bitdefender so they can fix the issue.

steelfanatic

Well. I'm leaving nextpvr.

Tonight it failed to record the wife's stuff. Service had died. Found that bitdefender full scan thought it was a load of viruses and quarenteened stuff. Tried restoring from quarenteen, service still not starting. Uninstalled, reinstalled but the recording service is corrupt in some way.

Back to dvblogic......

Maybe this will help others.

Huh? This could NOT be the fault of NextPVR. That's your shoddy anti-virus.

Im back on nextPVR.  And this time I have excluded the NextPVR folders from BitDefender.  I dont think Bitdefender paid release should be called shoddy however.  

I dont think Bitdefender paid release should be called shoddy however.  

Sure, but if it's breaking apps, it's Bitdefender's fault not the app's.

Edited by sub3