ImagesByName Migration?

Aussiedroid

Aussiedroid

Saw in the server settings this folder location isn't used anymore, instead its now the data/metadata folder from what I was reading on the forums. 

I still have an existing ImagesByName folder that server is still recognising but I wanted to move this to the new structure to keep it all up to date.

metadata folder seems to contain a lot of random folder/files (didnt look like the right place), so I wanted to check where my People, Artists, Studio folders etc should be moved to. Is it the data folder, or is is the data/metadata folder? or can I just rename the ImagesByName to metadata? or will it automatically migrate at some point?

Appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Happy2Play

You will run into trouble unless you are going to do a complete uninstall and reinstall or new install.  For all or us that have old installs the system.xml still has all your preferred/original settings and only are reset on new installations.

There are two lines that I am aware of, but there could be more.

<ItemsByNamePath>Z:\ServerFolders\Emby-Server\ImagesByName</ItemsByNamePath>

<MergeMetadataAndImagesByName>false</MergeMetadataAndImagesByName>

• Like 1

Aussiedroid

Thanks Happy2Play,

Well, my question came up as I was looking at a reinstall/upgrade to Win10 in the near future and wanted to clean it all up before I migrate across. So I can do a clean install as such, but still not sure where I would relocate the People, Studio, Artists, Genre folders etc in the new structure. I could only find info in the wikis for IBN folder not for the new one.

I guess I can find out with some trial and error but would be good to know for sure I have it right.

Thanks again.

Aussiedroid

Thanks GrotShot, but I'm still not following 100%. Sorry!

Let me try with an example of my setup.

So I have set in the server the following paths for my data:

C:\Emby Server Data\Metadata

C:\Emby Server Data\ImagesByName  (set this by modifying the systems.xml path)

I rescan, and the /Metadata folder fills with folders with names like 00, 0b, 1d, 3e (each folder has images etc within). Not sure if this is meant to create a subfolder also called metadata (C:\Emby Server Data\Metadata\metadata) or just mix in with the other older IBN folders.

No other People, Studios, Genres folders are created under /Metadata folder from what I can see at this point.

So when I migrate to my new install, where should I put the IBN subfolders (People, Genres etc)

C:\Emby Server Data\Metadata\People

C:\Emby Server Data\Metadata\Genres   ... etc

or 

C:\Emby Server Data\Metadata\ImagesByName\People

C:\Emby Server Data\Metadata\ImagesByName\Genres ... etc

or 

Something else? Will it generate the base folders on a fresh install to let me know where?

Maybe I am just confused if it should be mixing in the same folder as the ones mentioned earlier generated by the server scan.

Thanks again.

Edited by Aussiedroid

GrotShot

The way I understand it is that you still have your IBN folders as is and point the "Metadata | Advanced | Metadata Path" setting to it. At least this is what I've done.

I have to say it's not clear and I wasn't aware that things had changed since I did my setup a few years ago!

• Like 1

Happy2Play

When you point the metadata path to a custom location it will generate a \metadata path so if you point to x:\IBN it will make  x:\IBN\metadata and store your metadata/images.

Then you will have to manually move everything from your previous IBN into the NEW metadata folder.

Yes this is the default for new installs.

So when I migrate to my new install, where should I put the IBN subfolders (People, Genres etc)

C:\Emby Server Data\Metadata\People

C:\Emby Server Data\Metadata\Genres   ... etc

Edited by Happy2Play

Aussiedroid

Thanks for being patient with me guys! :)

Ok, thats good to know. Now I can start sorting things out :)

But, I might have found a bug then. When I set my path to C:\Emby Server Data\Metadata it does not create a metadata folder (C:\Emby Server Data\Metadata\metadata) within it. It outputs all the data into the main folder (which would make it a bit of a mess to merge with IBN folders). If it created a sub-folder then it would be much easier to find the People, Genre folders etc under the main folder.

Think that was where I was getting confused. Not sure how to fix it though lol

Happy2Play

Not sure I follow. 

New installation default location

563c133c7ed6b_new.jpg

With custom path set to C:\IBN and a library scan creates metadata folder.

563c13e95ff93_custom1.jpg

563c1466d8204_custom2.jpg

Once folder is created you can migrate previous IBN folders to new location.

Edited by Happy2Play

Aussiedroid

Yeah, I am certainly seeing something different my end. What you are showing is what I was expecting, but I see this:

563c3e5ee9602_Untitled.jpg

There are about 257 folders in my metadata folder, each of these has multiple folders within. 

I can now see there is a channels folder created in with these folders but thats all other than the random named ones in the screenshot.

I'll play with it some more over the weekend and see if I can get the results you are getting. 

Cheers.

Happy2Play

Is this a new/clean install?  If not then there are still system.xml configs at play.  The screenshots I provided where from a test machine with a new install.

And this line is controlling what you are seeing.  False puts stuff in Metadata folder, true puts stuff in metadata\library subfolder.

<EnableLibraryMetadataSubFolder>true</EnableLibraryMetadataSubFolder>

• Like 1

Aussiedroid

Yep, looks like it was an issue with the old install. Must have still been picking up the IBN folder/Mediabrowser-Server folder when I reinstalled. I renamed that folder and reinstalled again and it has worked!! Now I can do my cleanup before I move to a new Windows install.

Metadata is now in a subfolder called Library and seems to have created the Peoples folder etc (still scanning). 

I did a server backup but I may as well start it again now that its cleaned up properly. Not sure if there is a way to just import my watched list though .. that would be handy.

Thanks again for your help Happy2Play!

Happy2Play

I did a server backup but I may as well start it again now that its cleaned up properly. Not sure if there is a way to just import my watched list though .. that would be handy.

You have 2 options.

Server Configuration backup plugin

This has the capabilities to import those statuses from a backup with the plugin.

"User Playstate, Favorites, Resume, etc. - Select original user and user to import data into"

or

Manual Migration

• Like 1