Dumb question . . .

tymanthius

tymanthius

So, what exactly does 'Scan Media' do?

Is that how Emby finds that I've added a new movie in?

Is that how Emby figures out the best way to transcode the movie?

Or both?

The reason I ask is I have a lower end processor, so if I can have the media scan run less, that would be better. But I'm impatient, so 10 seconds after I download a new tv show, I probably want to watch it.  :)

What are some optimum ways to handle this?

Koleckai Silvestri

You shouldn't have to run the Scan Media scheduled task more than it is already set to.

Emby should monitor your library folders and if there is a change it will add the new movie in. This is less intensive than running the Scheduled Tasks.  Though you might have this turned off. The option is under Library -> Advanced in the dashboard. I recommend just leaving it on Auto.

• Like 1

thefirstofthe300

Just a note, if you are using a Linux box, the folder watcher will not work correctly and cause issues with the server if you turn it on.  If it is set to auto, the folder watcher is almost certainly off so it will still rely on scanning the library using the scheduled task.

If you use Sonarr to download TV shows, there is a function in the Sonarr settings to connect to Emby and trigger a folder scan after a rename so Emby will automatically scan when Sonarr adds a show to your library.  I personally use this function to have the server scan as soon as TV show hits my folders. :)  If you don't use Sonarr, you can probably hit up the Emby API to kick off a library scan using a script fired by your downloader.  (I hope that made sense.)

If you use CouchPotato, sadly, I haven't found an equivalent function as Sonarr's scan library. :(  Although you can probably use the webhook to fire off a library scan.  I honestly have no idea if that is possible but it looks pretty generic so it might.

Good luck!

Edited by thefirstofthe300

tymanthius

Just a note, if you are using a Linux box, the folder watcher will not work correctly and cause issues with the server if you turn it on.  If it is set to auto, the folder watcher is almost certainly off so it will still rely on scanning the library using the scheduled task.

If you use Sonarr to download TV shows, there is a function in the Sonarr settings to connect to Emby and trigger a folder scan after a rename so Emby will automatically scan when Sonarr adds a show to your library.  I personally use this function to have the server scan as soon as TV show hits my folders. :)  If you don't use Sonarr, you can probably hit up the Emby API to kick off a library scan using a script fired by your downloader.  (I hope that made sense.)

If you use CouchPotato, sadly, I haven't found an equivalent function as Sonarr's scan library. :(  Although you can probably use the webhook to fire off a library scan.  I honestly have no idea if that is possible but it looks pretty generic so it might.

Good luck!

Thanks, I do use sonarr (AWESOME!!) and am on linux.  For movies - meh. I can deal. 

tymanthius

You shouldn't have to run the Scan Media scheduled task more than it is already set to.

Emby should monitor your library folders and if there is a change it will add the new movie in. This is less intensive than running the Scheduled Tasks.  Though you might have this turned off. The option is under Library -> Advanced in the dashboard. I recommend just leaving it on Auto.

Under library -> Advanced I have no such options. I think I'm on  the beta builds tho (Version 3.0.5781.0), so that may be why.

Happy2Play

Under library -> Advanced I have no such options. I think I'm on  the beta builds tho (Version 3.0.5781.0), so that may be why.

This would be Real time monitoring.

Enable real time monitoring auto-yes-no

Koleckai Silvestri

Might be due to being on Linux. I didn't know Linux didn't support this functionality. I am using Windows for my server. Things get added to my library within a minute or so.

It's only there for windows at the moment. You ll want to consider adjusting the frequency of your scans.