DLNA on iOS?

Blue407

Is it possible to use a DNLA app on a iPad/iPhone to browse to the Emby server and play movies on the iOS device?

Using Safari is a bit hit and miss :(

Edited by Blue407

Ok, answered my own question on this.

I installed the free VLC app on my iPhone.

Selected local network and it quickly forund the Emby server, came up as Universal Plug 'n' play (UPnP)

Click on it and I can browse my movies, play them etc.

Not as fancy a front end as via Safari, but seems rock solid and doesn't seem to stress the CPU on the server too much either. Certainly less than the Safari browser seemed to do!

Anybody else tried this yet?

I've used VLC for iOS to play content from Emby.  It's been several months since I've tried it.  The problem I had with it was that my server kept going to sleep when using VLC.  When using the web client I didn't have this problem.  Maybe this issue has been fixed by now.

Deihmos

The best video player on ios I found was infuse. It works with trakt and has meta data plus it can play everything without transcoding. For some reason emby uses the cpu to play in the browser.

You need to edit the default dlna profile or create a new one for it to work correctly.

post-164-0-89793600-1446590485_thumb.png post-164-0-88860400-1446590802_thumb.png

Edited by Deihmos

Hi Deihmos,

i have been doing a lot of tests with plenty of iOS UPNP clients for my emby server. What i was looking for is :

- Meta data proper support in the client (Infuse has this)

- No transcoding on the server side (i could not test)

Infuse seemed promissing to me, but i had a problem that made me abandon this solution. I don't know why but to build the local library and importing the meta data, Infuse was starting a lot of FFMPEG trasncoding jobs on my server (was that to retrieve chapters images ??). The thing is that my server is a low powered ARM based device. And it could not handle all those FFMPEG jobs run in parallel. As a result i could never get my library built locally in Infuse.

Did you ever experiment such a problem ?

Would you mind sharing the dlna profile settings thta you are using with Infuse ?

Thank you in advance

Deihmos

I actually didn't get infuse to work with emby dlna. I couldn't get anything to play but it works fine with direct access using smb shares. I use it to transfer videos from server to phone and I don't thing the free version can play every format. Vlc works fine with dlna if you don't have anything with ac3 audio.

I don't see how infuse could start ffmpeg.

Edited by Deihmos

Deihmos

Hi Deihmos,

i have been doing a lot of tests with plenty of iOS UPNP clients for my emby server. What i was looking for is :

- Meta data proper support in the client (Infuse has this)

- No transcoding on the server side (i could not test)

Infuse seemed promissing to me, but i had a problem that made me abandon this solution. I don't know why but to build the local library and importing the meta data, Infuse was starting a lot of FFMPEG trasncoding jobs on my server (was that to retrieve chapters images ??). The thing is that my server is a low powered ARM based device. And it could not handle all those FFMPEG jobs run in parallel. As a result i could never get my library built locally in Infuse.

Did you ever experiment such a problem ?

Would you mind sharing the dlna profile settings thta you are using with Infuse ?

Thank you in advance

I am seeing the same thing with ffmpeg. I was unsuccessful in getting it to work DLNA. Did you have any luck?