Feature Request: Read embedded metadata from MP4 / M4V files

guric

I have a lot of TV Shows ripped from my DVD and Blu-ray collections in iTunes. Home sharing works great to my Apple TV and iPad. Only thing I'm missing is remote viewing of my collection. I installed Emby and pointed it to my TV Shows folder inside my iTunes library. I have metadata embedded in my files using the Subler application so everything has an Episode and Season number as well as Description etc.. iTunes organizes and renames the files in it's own format. My understanding is Emby wants the filenames in a certain format and doesn't read embedded metadata in the MP4 and M4V files. This makes a mess of my library when I view it from within Emby. I'm requesting an update to Emby that will read the metadata within the video files and if it finds it use that to update it's own database instead of relying on filenames.

-thanks 

Cerothen

Emby reads metadata from its own sources or using Kodi's format. You could look into creating a plugin that would add reading from the ID tags however it would ultimately be less work to either have your other software rename or writeout the metadata in Kodi's format.

I find what works best for me is to have movie names have the IMDB TT code and the series be stored <Series name>/Season <0SeasonNumber>/<Series name> S<0SeasonNumber>E<0EpisodeNumber> - <Episode Name>

These formates for me have a 100% accuracy when being scraped by Emby.