Search feature failing display results

Tyceratops90

Tyceratops90

Hello,

I've recently developed an issue where the majority of my search queries fail to display any results. This problem is present across multiple clients including the web client, android and Roku 3. I first noticed the issue after upgrading to server version 3.0.5781.0 and running the "clean database" scheduled task. Before the upgrade I had an issue with search results pulling movies and folders that no longer existed on my server; i know that the update aimed to resolve that issue. While the update did fix that previous issue, I am not presented with the new problem that I just described.

The user experience is that when a searchable term in entered in to the client search bar, for example "Southpaw", the progress when spins about one time before disappearing and leaving a blank screen (screenshot attached).

I have noted that while most queries fail, there are a handful that have worked including "American Gangster" and "Gangs of New York".

I've attached the most recent server log which does include both the failed and successful searches as just described. Please note that the search examples occurred today 11/2 between 10:50 and 11:20am in the logs so they will be near the bottom.

Here's an example of what you will find in the logs. This was an example of searching "bad" where i would expect movies like "bad santa", "bad teacher" and "bad grandpa" to dispaly:

2015-11-02 11:02:09.1422 Error - HttpServer: Error processing request for /emby/Search/Hints?userId=5dda1372ae1343f683853a9538fa628e&searchTerm=bad&limit=30
*** Error Report ***
Version: 3.0.5781.0
Command line: C:\Users\Ty\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
Processor count: 8
64-Bit OS: True
64-Bit Process: False
Program data path: C:\Users\Ty\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
Application Path: C:\Users\Ty\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
ServiceStack.HttpError
No Stack Trace Available

Thanks for you help!

server-63582042761.txt

post-63238-0-49161800-1446491952_thumb.png

try running the refresh channels operation. it will run on it's own eventually. we probably should have forced it as part of the upgrade.

arrbee99

Interesting. Sounds quite similar to the way my search worked, but am now finding search much improved for me on the latest dev versions. See you are on 5781, might be worth trying the later versions, unless you're into dev versions of course - there have been database changes, not sure if that's before or after 5781 though.

Tyceratops90

Hey Luke,

No luck running the refresh channel task. When I forced the task it appeared to run, but it finished very quickly and reported taking 0 seconds. I did a little more testing and found that my success rate improves when I search on the full movie title. For example I get a result when searching for "bad teacher" and "bad santa", however if I only search on "bad" I get no results. There are many movies that still don't populate even if I search on the full movie name like "The Avengers" for example.

I also found that since the server update I can't load any actor information after selecting them. The actors do populate when searching their names and populate with their picture under the movie information, however when I click on Ben Stiller for example I get a similar experience to my failed movie queries, that is the progress wheel just spins. I thought I would mention this issue in this thread as I see what looks to be a similar error in the logs. I double checked and the "people" app data folder is still there with associated pictures and .xml file.

The below log snippet correlates to when I tried to select Ben Stillers actor profile:

2015-11-02 13:07:03.5501 Error - DtoUtils: ServiceBase<TRequest>::Service Exception
*** Error Report ***
Command line: C:\Users\Ty\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
Application Path: C:\Users\Ty\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
System.NullReferenceException
  at MediaBrowser.Controller.Channels.ChannelVideoItem.IsChannelVisible(IChannelItem item, User user)
  at MediaBrowser.Controller.Channels.ChannelVideoItem.IsVisibleStandalone(User user)
  at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Dto.DtoService.<>c__DisplayClass4.<GetTaggedItems>b__2(BaseItem i)
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereArrayIterator`1.MoveNext()
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 collection)
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
  at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Dto.DtoService.GetTaggedItems(IItemByName byName, User user)
  at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Dto.DtoService.GetBaseItemDto(BaseItem item, DtoOptions options, User user, BaseItem owner)
  at MediaBrowser.Api.UserLibrary.UserLibraryService.Get(GetItem request)
  at lambda_method(Closure , Object , Object )
  at ServiceStack.Host.ServiceRunner`1.Execute(IRequest request, Object instance, TRequest requestDto)

2015-11-02 13:07:03.5501 Error - HttpServer: Error processing request for /emby/Users/5dda1372ae1343f683853a9538fa628e/Items/6e5e375bf0ab34e73d91bfd03f05afa3
*** Error Report ***
ServiceStack.HttpError
No Stack Trace Available