Are WMC recordings (.wtv) files supported?

Blue407

Hi All

I'm just upgrading my home media server, the old one was not very capable at transcoding!

New one runs Server 2012 R2 and will have all my media on it, plus Emby Server.

My lounge HTPC runs WMC and records to its local HDD.

Can I add the WMC recordings to the Emby Server so that it indexes them and shares them to other devices?

Will it allow other devices to watch recorded TV?

If yes, any hints or tips to get it working properly or is it really easy?

I'm looking at getting away from PC in each room with sat card, instead putting all sat cards in Lounge PC for it to do all the recording. Then each room can either have very basic PC or even Roku or similar running Emby client.

Thanks in advance for help.

legallink

Emby will play wtv recordings and if they are named correctly will organize them. However currently Windows does not name things in a way that Emby can parse them. There has been discussion about Emby reading wtv metadata, but I am not aware of that having been implemented yet.

Stephen Maye

Emby will play wtv recordings and if they are named correctly will organize them. However currently Windows does not name things in a way that Emby can parse them. There has been discussion about Emby reading wtv metadata, but I am not aware of that having been implemented yet.

I am completely new to Emby.  Just got it set up.  I go to Library and click add media library.  I have tried selecting TV and Unset.  In neither case will Emby show my recorded TV files.  Nothing.  So, are you saying with touching each file by hand windows media center recordings will not show in Emby?  What about DVR-MS?

Edited by Stephen Maye

mjktg99

I am completely new to Emby.  Just got it set up.  I go to Library and click add media library.  I have tried selecting TV and Unset.  In neither case will Emby show my recorded TV files.  Nothing.  So, are you saying with touching each file by hand windows media center recordings will not show in Emby?  What about DVR-MS?

When adding the WMC recorded TV folder, add it as a Home Video Library Type.  When you add it as a TV, that's when emby tries to manage the files and struggles with WMC Metadata.  When you set the type as Home videos it will just show whats in that folder.  Also, it woks best if you use path substitution and use a UNC path.  That way anything local that can direct play your file will do so without using the server to send the file.