Best way to server DSLR Photos

mika91

Hi,

I'm testing Emby right now, and I'm quite impressed with its quality.
My only last concern is about photos sharing.

My DSLR files are quite big (about 5 or 6 MB each file), and it takes a long time to load a photo on my clients (RPI and wifi laptops)
I'd like to know how to improve it.

• Export all my photo catalog in a lighter version (let's say 1MB max for each file).
    But how to maintain this lighter mirror?

• Let Emby transcode photo in a lighter version, depending connection and client device.
    But I don't know if it's possible, neither if my little celeron can achieve it quickly.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated :)
thanks

• 2 weeks later...

good thing i searched before posting - because i'm looking for something very similar.

I have about 50GB of photos now... i want to have a "lighter" version as well so that I can sync to my phones/tablets. I tried to run a sync job with it, and specified quality is "low" but that didn't seem to do it. I know there are apps that can batch process a directory and shrink images ,but I really would love to have Emby do it, since we already have sync capability. 

the server will already encode the image to a smaller size and then cache the result for future requests. of course, for images of that size it could take a little time so the first-time loading experiences in each of the apps might suffer a little. but the results are cached.