Inconsistent Volume Problems

Lighthammer

Lighthammer

Greetings,

I've been having some major problems since the second to last patch.

Emby Theater on Windows is having inconsistent volume issues. The volume keeps rolling between high and low and is completely uncontrollable.

I'm unsure if this is a problem with Emby Theater or Emby Server; but the problem doesn't seem to happen when I run videos in Chrome, so I tend to think the problem is on the Windows App side.

Lighthammer

Volume is steady. 

The ONLY apps installed on the computer are Emby Server, Emby Theater and Avast as well as a few minor utilities like Virtual CloneDrive and Winrar.

I've also verified its not the TV.

This is a recent development as of 2 weeks ago. Before then there wasn't any issues.

I don't follow the changelog too closely on Emby Theater, but when I looked at the settings for Emby theater there are a whole bunch more options than I'm used to.

I've attached the DXDiag report in hopes that helps. The system config is a little different compared to what I'd think most people are running.

dxdiag.txt

Lighthammer

So, as a follow up to this issue, I've found a fix that might be something to look at in the future.

To fix this, I pumped up the volume to max on both Emby and the computer itself and am controlling the sound strictly through the TV.

Previously, I had the computer sound sitting around 1/2 volume, Emby's volume sitting around 20% volume and the TV sitting at around 1/2 volume.

Now the PC and Emby are at max volume and the TV is around 15% volume.

christoph86

I had this issue with MBC on my computer and the following fixed it.

Try to adjust it at the hardware level

Go to Control Panel, select sound, then double click on your active sound device

Select the "Enhancements" tab

Depending on the type of audio hardware, you should have an option for "Loudness Equalization"

This will equalize the dB across all your media to the same level.

Are you transcoding the media item? Just a thought... But if it is transcoding there is an option to down mix audio. I believe that the default is set to 2 (what ever that actually means..).

I noticed that when I encode certain audio formats my levels are way off. Encoding to AAC, it gets really quiet, and I end up encoding again...

But, it could be something else...