Srt vs Pgs vs external

MndWrp

Hello...

After trying a few things on my nexus player, it seems that internal srt subs have a hard time playing right...

Internal pgs and external srt work perfectly.

Most of my content has a mixture of formats embedded in them and i was wondering if the internal srt is a dead end or a fix is in our future..?

...i use mkv containers

Thanks guys!

Edited by MndWrp

It depends.  Is the content direct streaming or is it transcoding?

When direct streaming internal SRT subs should work just fine.  When transcoding, burning in any internal subs can be very taxing on the server.  It should work, but may take quite a while to start.

What i experience is more of a slight jump in the image when a block of text has to appear... plus the text itself render pretty ugly compared to the other options.

It seems do direct stream..

Am i correct in thinking that pgs are basically images and just need to display vs render...? But then what is the difference between internal and external srt that makes them different ? The extraction process?

Yes, if we are transcoding it is the extraction of internal subs.  If we are direct streaming with VLC then there isn't much difference.

I think I'll invest some time to make them external srt... might take me a while but i do want a smooth experience when using the app.

I also like the easily editable nature of external files...

Thanks for answering ebr!