Nexus Player Live TV forced transcode

das7002

So, I found out that the Nexus player was very quietly put on clearance for $49 at my local WalMart, and I bought 3. It's been working great with MPEG2 just like I asked about, except for one mind boggling problem.

If I played the recorded MPEG2 stream, it works beautifully and streams directly.

If I play an in progress MPEG2 recording, it plays directly and works beautifully.

If I use the channel guide and pick a channel, the emby app forgets it knows how to do MPEG2 and forces transcoding.

Is there something in the logs I could post to help figure this out? As my browsing through them I see where it initiates transcoding for the live TV, but not where it starts direct playing literally anything else.

The recorded stream and the live stream are not necessarily the exact same thing.

What is the media info on one of the recorded ones?

This file will play directly, and was recorded by emby with my HDHomeRun

direct1.png

And this is the codec information and statistics about the stream from my HDHomeRun

trans1.png

trans2.png

As you can see, both are MPEG2 with AAC audio, but with the live tv emby decides it needs to transcode, and that's what I'm not really understanding here.

I also have no sync jobs (at all) that could be obscuring anything, so I'm somewhat at a loss to this.

Actually, it is AC3 audio but that should be okay - depending on the container.

What is the container format of the recorded file?

The difference is probably the fact that live streams are forced through the internal player instead of VLC because VLC was not able to handle our transcoded streams at all.

The recorded file is in a .ts, but like I said, playing live directly forces transcode (which my server is not fast enough to do), but watching a recording, even if it is still in progress, plays directly like it is nothing.

mikemc601f

das7002,  Did you ever get this resolved? I would like to know as this is the same setup I am looking to implement. Thanks

Edited by mikemc601f

No it has not, for now I'm just using Kodi with the HDHomeRun plugin for live tv and using emby for my dvr recordings. It's not ideal, but the emby plugin for Kodi simply does not work, and live tv in emby just does not want to work, so whatever,  I can deal with both for now.

Okay, ExoPlayer simply does not support these streams from the HDHR and neither does VLC.  You can see discussion about it here and an open issue that they hope to one day support it here.

It is possible that the true native player will support it on the NP and Shield.  I guess I'll have to try that again and see (sheese - three different players...).

I personally think it's just a weird bug, as like I said it can play the unaltered recorded stream directly just fine, it's only the live streaming that makes everything fall apart.

I will also again mention that if I initiate recording of something, and then go to recordings in emby and play that *while it is still recording* it plays directly as well.

So, somewhere in the app the stream is supported for direct playback, but it does not like it when there is no seek support (only difference I can really think of).

If emby had a plugin for Kodi that sent guide data and acted like a PVR Backend, I'd love that. But for now the emby plugin does not work at all for me, but I'm leaning towards it just being my insanely slow server as it just quietly fails in Kodi but the emby app is fine.

If I had any experience with Android development I'd hook up a debugger to the Nexus player just to try and help figure this out, but for the time being I don't unfortunately.

When you play back one of the recorded streams can you tell me exactly what the last gray box on the OSD says?

Hmmm... have you turned off VLC?  Recordings direct stream in VLC for me.

I'm going to try to dig deeper into this.  Hopefully, I can uncover something as it does seem like we should be able to direct stream them if they work from the recording.

I'll try it again when I get home as I can't remember if I tried playing recordings with VLC off.

But I can confirm recordings direct play in VLC as I used Android VLC app to play the recording.ts from my server.

Edited by das7002

Yes, well it appears that the way we deliver the stream from a file is different enough that it allows VLC to figure it out and play properly.  But, when the same streams are delivered directly from the HDHR, it simply cannot cope.

Maybe it is a bug in VLC itself then, as VLC does not have issues playing it directly on PC.

My phone (Xperia Z3) and a really cheap Android tablet (Alcatel Onetouch something) also play live TV directly.

Yes, well it appears that the way we deliver the stream from a file is different enough that it allows VLC to figure it out and play properly.  But, when the same streams are delivered directly from the HDHR, it simply cannot cope.

Ok well, I got home not long ago, and I can confirm that VLC for Android can also play channels directly if I use http://192.168.1.55/auto/v### as the stream source. And recordings play perfectly fine with VLC disabled according to settings, but still does not work for live tv with VLC disabled.

Kind of makes me wonder how emby-server tries to pass the stream location to the emby app, as literally the only thing I can't get to work properly is live tv from within the emby app.

It passes the url exactly like you typed it.  I confirmed that yesterday and, when I did that, VLC started spitting out tons of "TS discontinuity" errors and the video sometimes displays for a second and stutters around but usually not at all.

What version of VLC for Android? and, obviously, it was on the same device, right?

Okay, I'm going to be scarce this weekend (tennis team in the state championships :)) but, when I get back, I'll look into updating our version of VLC again.  Be forewarned that the last time I did this it created a lot more problems than it solved so here's to hoping that won't be the case again.

Okay, I'm going to be scarce this weekend (tennis team in the state championships :)) but, when I get back, I'll look into updating our version of VLC again.  Be forewarned that the last time I did this it created a lot more problems than it solved so here's to hoping that won't be the case again.

Good luck in your tennis match!

I also am a bit interested in what firmware version your HDHomeRun has as that might be another possibility.

Hardware Model	HDHR3-CC
Firmware Version	20150826
DTCP-IP	DTCP 1.7-SD20140607
WMDRM-NDT	WMDRM 10-SD20130219
Memory Report	64 MB SDRAM, 2 MB Flash
Power Status	Standby
Boot Status	Booted
Device ID	????????
MAC Address	00:18:DD:??:??:??
IP Address	192.168.1.55
Subnet Mask	255.255.255.0

I also just remembered that I should mention that the VLC for Android available on the play store *from* the Nexus player, while the same version numerical version, does not allow me to specify a stream location easily. However, if I sideload the VLC apk that is available on the Play Store for my phone I get a different interface that does allow me to use input the stream location and it works fine as I mentioned.

this is a very interesting thread, thanks for this! i have an issue with my parents setup where all recorded TV and live TV transcode through emby to the nexus player. the issue is their desktop thats the emby server isn't powerful enough to do 2 transcodes at a time. after reading your thread i was wondering why recorded TV for us was transcoding while yours was able to direct stream. from your posts the only difference i noticed was that my files are WTV files are yours are TS files.

just for kicks i tried just renaming one of the WTV files to .TS and waited for emby to refresh and see the "new" file. after it did i tried playing it and low and behold it was direct streaming it using VLC!

hopefully @@ebr looking into the new version of VLC enables more direct streaming options for recorded and live TV so my parents don't have to upgrade their desktop.

in the meantime, anyone know how to get my recorded TV files to record as .TS? we are using windows media center with the servermwc plugin for live and recorded TV for emby. i could write a script to just rename WTV files as .ts but would need to figure out how to make sure the file isn't actively being recorded to before renaming it.

hmmmm..... i wonder if its because i originally setup the recordings in windows media center, back when i was mainly using that, and as i added more and more stuff to emby and moved away from windows media center since emby saw all my recorded shows i never redid anything in emby. i might try recreating some shows to record through emby instead of windows media center and see what that does.

edit. nope, not that :( i don't think i can just use emby for tunes as i have older versions of the hdhomerun tuners. so i might be stuck with wtv files and trying to rename them to ts files for the time being. 

edit 2: i already had a script scheduled to run to copy recorded tv files from my desktop to my server, just threw in a rename to .ts before moving and its working like a charm :)

Edited by bmoses

question for you @@das7002 with your recorded TV files being in .ts format are you able to watch them when going into the "recorded tv" interface thats found next to "live tv" on the "on now" line of the emby app on the nexus player? or do you go into a recorded TV folder thats part of your library?

after renaming my WTV files to TS files i can play them still, and the direct stream, from the recorded TV folder thats part of my library, but the disappeared recorded TV section thats part of the live tv part of the app.

It's the ones in the auto created recorded TV where emby puts them.

Nexus player will play them directly, but not from the HDHR. If, however, I start a recording and then play that recording in progress it will direct play.

Which hopefully according to @@ebr will be fixed with a VLC update.